Chapter Ten

Los Angeles, California, U.S.A.

November 13, 2022.

Madison Stone's Point Of View.

I lie on the bed and pick up my cell phone from the nightstand. I stare at it for a few seconds, holding myself back from answering him, trying to get it into my head that tomorrow I will see him and that if we have something to talk about, we will talk in person, looking into each other's eyes.

I remember the day we went to school together and I was sad, so he put Dusk Till Dawn on and sang the chorus to me, as if he was telling me what the song said. That comforted me at the time, but he lied, because he didn't hug me when things went wrong.

My mother enters the room and I am startled, but I thank her mentally, because I put my cell phone back where it was before to pay attention to what she is going to say.

"Is everything okay, Mom?" I ask and she sits on the edge of the bed.

"Yes. I just came to see if you were okay and also to see for the first time after a few days you lying in your bed." And I smile.

"Oh, yes. You can rest assured, I won't run away again," I say trying to reassure her. 

"You ran away because you didn't want to go to that school anymore? Because if the answer is yes, I will get you out of there tomorrow," and I deny it.

"No. I don't want to leave there."

"Was it because of Anthony, because you remember him when you are here?"

"It gnaws at me that his last words to me were "I love you" and I was so sad that my dad, who even though he didn't deserve shit, I said "I love you" and he left without answering me, that I didn't answer Anthony, being that he was the one who deserved to hear it," I say.

It comforts me a little to know that Anthony knew that I loved him, and very much, but anyway, I wish I had said that to him that day.

"The guy in the car that ran the light and hit the car that Anthony was in, was arrested," and I nod my head in agreement, feeling a mix of emotions upon hearing that.

I feel a certain relief that the person responsible for the accident will pay for his mistake, but at the same time it doesn't seem to matter anymore, because this won't make my friend come back.

"So it was because of him? If you want, we can move. I was thinking about it a few weeks ago," she speaks and I deny it.

"No. I like living here and it wasn't because of him. As I told the deputy, I ran away because I needed some peace. It was really nice to stay in that house for a few days," I speak and she agrees, seeming to remember something.

"After I dropped you off at school that day, I went to your father's office, along with the lawyer I hired, so we could talk and start the divorce process. We talked and decided the things we had to decide."

"Did he learn about my disappearance? Did he hear about Anthony's death?"

"No. We didn't talk after that day and I forgot to talk about Anthony," and I agree.

"My custody will totally stay with you, right? Because he never gave a damn about me, so there is no sense in him wanting me to spend even one day with him."

"He told me that I can keep you, but even if he didn't want to, I would fight to have your custody," and I am happy, because I really don't want to go stay with him and the woman he is with.

"So you guys have already signed the divorce?"

"No. We will sign it tomorrow."

"And you are happy about that?"

"I was in love with your father, but I think we lived what we had to live. He made a mistake and our relationship ended, so yes, I am happy." and I smile.

"That's good. And what about Deputy Baker? You guys have become pretty good friends, huh?" I throw a green and she laughs.

"You don't have a way, do you?"

"Am I lying? I saw you talking by the look and people without connection don't do that." I speak and she looks away, but I can see that she is happy.

"We are just friends. I'm not in the mindset of having a relationship with anyone right now," and I agree, believing and at the same time not believing what she says.

"Okay, then. But know that anything, I'm here to support you." I speak and she gives me a small smile, but then her expression changes.

"You have me very worried. You are all I have. I couldn't accept losing you." She says seriously with her eyes watering, causing my regret, in the sense of having left her behind, to only increase.

"I know things weren't easy for you either and I still ran away. I'm sorry I did that to you," I say regretfully and she opens a warm smile, running her hand over her eyes to dry her tears.

"Just don't do it again. If something happens to you, no matter how hard it is, tell me and I will do what I can to help you." I agree yawning, because today was a really tiring day.

"Okay."

"Seriously, you have no idea how desperate I was after reading that letter. I wouldn't forgive myself if something bad happened to you," she says and then pauses for a moment. "I wouldn't forgive myself if anything else bad happened to you," and my heart breaks as I hear this.

"Nothing bad that happened to me was your fault, Mom. There was nothing you could do to stop them from happening." I comfort her and she nods her head in agreement, smiling.

"Yeah, you're right. Now I will let you sleep. Good night my love," she wraps me up with the blanket, moves a little closer and deposits a kiss on my head, leaving my room soon after.

How good it feels to be cared for and loved.