Chapter Nineteen

Los Angeles, California, U.S.A.

November 17, 2022.

Madison Stone's Point Of View.

"I'm starving," Ashley says as we walk toward one of the cafeteria tables.

"And when you're not?" Andrey ironizes and she looks at Ryan.

"Aren't you going to defend your girlfriend?" And he denies it with a laugh.

"There's no defending you from the truth," and we laugh.

We sit at the table where we sat at on the first day of class, the same one that was empty. Ashley sits facing me, Ryan sits on her side and Andrey on my mine.

"Did the rehearsal and practice go well?" I ask as I open the package of my sandwich.

"It was good. I think this game we're going to win," Ryan says and Andrey agrees.

"Speak for yourselves, because I didn't like the rehearsal. I can't believe I still have to rehearse today and tomorrow. It's no fun rehearsing without you, Mad," and I smile at what Ashley tells me.

"I still can't believe you left," Andrey says in frustration as he puts the straw in his juice box.

"It doesn't matter if I am a cheerleader or not. What matters is that I will be at the game cheering and vibrating for you guys," I say hugging Andrey sideways.

"But I would like to have you as my cheerleader." He says, sounding like a child when he makes a drama to get what he wants, and I laugh.

Bryan and David approach and join us. David sits down next to Ryan and Bryan next to me.

"What's up guys?" Bryan says and everyone, except Andrey and David, who came with him, greet him.

"Where were you?" Ryan asks.

"We were talking to our teammates. Everyone is pretty excited about Saturday's game," David comments.

"Yes, Ryan and I were just commenting that this game we're going to win," Andrey says and takes a sip of his juice.

"Me and Bryan think so too, right Bryan?" David speaks and I mentally smile, because I know he is trying to get Bryan into his conversation with the boys.

David is still trying to get Andrey and Bryan to talk to each other again and I join him in this mission, because the reason they are not talking to each other is me.

"Yeah.." Bryan understands what his friend wants to do and doesn't give much of an opening for it to happen.

"What's up David, did you go back to Emily?" Ashley asks and everyone looks at him curiously.

"We are still talking and working it out," he says. "I really want to get back with her, but first I have to see if she has really changed."

"Yeah, you're right," Andrey opines and I agree.

"I.." when Ashley goes to answer him, we hear a noise and then see a commotion outside the cafeteria.

"What's going on?" David questions.

"I don't know." Andrey gets up and we follow him, heading for the cafeteria's exit.

"Is there a fight going on?" Ashley asks.

"I don't know.. it can be," Ryan says.

"What did they come here for?" Andrey questions as we see Christopher enter the school accompanied by two other police officers.

"It is probably something related to what we went to the police station to do."

Christopher sees me and gives me a smile, the same one I return, and then walks into the school.

I see the girls in the middle of the other students, so I walk away with Andrey from our other friends and we pass by some people, until we reach them, the same ones who watch the other students whispering and creating theories of why the police officers are here looking scared, but at the same time also relieved.

"Hi Madison," Abigail greets me.

"Hi Abigail. Hi Sophia." I smile at both of them, who also greet and are greeted by Andrey.

"Have they come to arrest the director?" Sophia asks.

"They probably just came to deliver a summons to the principal and the teacher," I say and they agree.

"But since the teacher isn't coming, they will probably ask Principal Williams for information about his location," Andrey adds.

"Hopefully they will pay for the stupid things they've done," Abigail says and I nod.

"They will."

The bell rings and the break is over, so we say goodbye to each other and each goes to their respective room.

I enter the English classroom and sit at one of the desks in the middle of the room against the wall on the right side. A few seconds later, the teacher enters the room and begins to give her lesson.

"People, open your books to page 33," the teacher asks and I do as she asks.

The class goes by and I don't even pay attention, because my head is focused on the image of Christopher entering the school with the other two police officers. I really want to know what they came here for.

"The principal is calling the classes to a lecture in the auditorium." Coordinator Susan appears at the door of the room getting everyone's attention, warns the teacher, and then leaves.

"You can go, people. Next class we will correct the activity," the teacher says and I quickly get up, put my things away, put my backpack on my back, and leave the room shortly after.

"Hey," I feel a hand touch my shoulder in the crowd of students, so I turn my face back and see Bryan coming a little closer and starting to walk beside me.

"Hi. Have you seen the rest of the guys?"

"No. Since the rooms they are in are closer to the auditorium, they are probably already there."

"Yeah, that makes sense."

"Do you have any idea what this lecture is about?"

"I think it's going to be something related to harassment in schools."

"You would have class with him today, right?" and I agree.

"Yes. I'm glad he's missing.. at least I think that's a good thing."

"It's a good thing in the sense that you don't have to see him."

We enter the auditorium and we sat in the middle part of the end rows. After a short time, people stop coming in, because the auditorium is full and they close the door.

The noise in the place is loud because of the large amount of chatter among the students. I look around and see Ashley, Andrey, Abigail and Sophia sitting in one of the first rows and David and Ryan in the last row on the other side of the auditorium.

The Principal gets on stage together with Christopher and his co-workers and tests the microphone, and then starts talking. This is the first time I see him after Monday.

"Good morning everyone," Principal Williams says in such a serious manner that silence quickly settles over the auditorium. "Deputy Baker is here to speak to you today," he passes the microphone to Christopher and walks off the stage, taking one of the front row seats.

"Good morning everyone. I'm Deputy Christopher Baker and today me and my co-workers Jessica and Noah," he points to the two police officers who came with him, the same ones who wave to the students. "We've come here to talk about a very serious matter with you," and as he says this Bryan and I look at the each other, already deducing what this lecture is about.