Chapter Thirty Four

Los Angeles, California, U.S.A.

November 22, 2022.

Madison Stone's Point Of View.

"COME ON MADISON!" My mother shouts from downstairs.

"I'M GOING!" I shout back as I finish closing my suitcase, where I put the things I need to stay from the rest of today until Friday at my grandmother's house, where my mother and I will spend the Thanksgiving holiday.

We were going to stay until Sunday, but we will have to come back earlier since Bryan's parents have invited us to the surprise birthday party they are throwing for him on Saturday.

I take the suitcase off the bed and place it on the floor, put its strap up and walk out of the room seconds later, pushing it.

I got home from David's house about two hours ago, so I only had time to take a shower, get dressed, and pack my suitcase. I arranged with my mother to talk about what happened today only when we are already in the car.

Me, Andrey, Ahsley, Ryan, Bryan, Abigail, Sophia, Emily and Sarah went to David's house and stayed there for a few hours. We bought pizza, soda and some snacks to eat while we played video games and other games at his house. It was pretty cool, except for the unpleasant atmosphere when Andrey and Bryan were around each other.

I get in front of the ladder and stop walking, because I know I won't be able to go down with my suitcase.

"Mom, help me with my bag here," I don't yell, but I say it in a tone that is enough for her to hear.

"Christopher help her, please," and I am quite surprised when she speaks Christopher's name, who walks up seconds later and picks up my bag, coming back down.

"I didn't know you were here," I say as I finish going downstairs.

"He's going with us," my mother says and now I am in shock.

"He what?" I say and from the expression he makes, I realize that my reaction may have sweated a little roughly. "It's.. it's not that I don't like you Christopher, because I do, it's just that I wasn't really expecting you to go with us."

"He will. Your grandma wants to meet the guy who helped me when you ran away," and I shake my head in agreement, not quite believing it's just because of that.

"Okay then. It will be really nice to spend the holiday with you, Christopher."

"I say the same," he gives me a smile and I reciprocate.

"Oh.. congratulations on the work you did today at school," I say and he denies it.

"I did nothing but my duty."

"And that's what we will talk about on the way," my mother says. "Christopher only told me that Alexander was arrested, but I want to know details, so let's get these bags to the car soon so you guys can tell me everything on the way."

We agree with what she says and grab our bags, heading out of the house, because my mom arranged with Christopher to go in his car, the same one that is parked in front of our house, and we put our bags in the trunk, getting into the car shortly thereafter.

Christopher sits in the driver's seat, my mother in the passenger seat, and I in the back seat behind my mother's seat.

"Send me Mrs. Stone's location so I can put it in the GPS," Christopher says and my mother does what he asks, so after a few minutes, he starts the car and we leave towards my grandmother's house, which is about two hours away.

"So.. who's going to start telling me what happened?" My mother asks and we both remain silent, perhaps because we are both waiting for the other to start. "How was the protest, Madison?" Okay, I will be the one to start.

Since she asked me this question, I tell her everything that happened in my field of vision.

"Seriously, it was beautiful to see the students celebrating."

"I'm glad justice was served," she smiles at Christopher who quickly takes his eyes off the road and places them on her, returning the smile.

Do they really believe in this "friends" business?

"By the way the school coordinator said she is going to call the parents of the students there to apologize to them, because it is the least they can do."

"But that is really the least they can do," my mother said seriously. "Did he say anything when you showed the arrest warrant, Christopher?"

"He didn't say anything, although he told Madison that justice would not believe her, he knew what he did and he knew he would pay for it."

"And when he arrived at the police station? Did he say anything?" I ask.

"Yes."

"What did he say?"

"He assumed his crimes," and I only don't jump because of surprise and hit my head on the roof of the car because I am wearing a seatbelt.

"WHAT?!" I am so surprised that I scream, but soon I am back to speaking in my normal tone of voice. "He confessed? That easily?"

"He took over?" My mother is also surprised and he just agrees.

"He's not dumb. He already had a lawyer advising him on what to do, because he had already given a statement and the case had gone to court."

"And what his lawyer told him?"

"If he went to trial his sentence would have been greater, so his lawyer must have made a plea bargain with the prosecutor, where Alexander agrees to take the blame and in exchange has his sentence reduced," and now I understand everything.

Since Richard is a lawyer, I already had a notion that if the defendant took the blame for the crime he was accused, his sentence could be lessened, but I had never thought about the hypothesis of Alexander assuming what he did.

"That's not fair." I say indignantly.

"But it's the law and unfortunately we can't do anything else," Christopher speaks.

"What about Williams? Is he only going to be temporarily removed?"

"He will probably be dismissed and after the investigation is over he may be arrested as well, as he was an accomplice of Alexander and the same one will probably finger him."

"His lawyer can also do what Alexander's lawyer did, right?" I ask stressed and my mother turns her face away.

"Yes, he can."

"Let's try to think on the bright side, daughter, since we've already done everything in our power. At least he's in jail now."

"Yeah.. at least I won't have to see them anymore," I say snuggling further into the seat and leaning my head against the window.

I really can't let them take away the joy I'm feeling. Even though I don't agree with his pity being diminished, my mother is right. I have to think on the bright side, try to think that this is better than nothing, since I've already done all I can do.