Chapter Fourty Seven

Los Angeles, California, U.S.A.

December 16, 2022.

Madison Stone's Point Of View.

And it is just we leave the building where the trials took place that we all start to celebrate, hugging and congratulating each other, since everyone was essential in this process.

"You did it! Justice has been done!" David squeezes me in a hug and I reciprocate.

"We did it, Roberts!" I correct him and pull my face away a little so that I can face him in the eyes. "Thank you for being such a good friend and for helping me so much," I thank him and a smile forms on his lips.

"I'm the one who thanks you for being my friend."

"Aaah.. I love you, quarterback," I say and he squeezes me tighter in his embrace.

"I love you too, ex cheerleader," and I smile at the nickname.

We undo the embrance and he goes to talk to Abigail, while I wait for Andrey.

"He's really going to pay for what he did now!" Andrey says happily, approaching me.

"Yes!" I say elated and he quickly lifts me up in a hug, putting me down soon after, but staying the hug.

"I told you we were going to leave the courtroom celebrating," and I smile, undoing the hug.

"Yeah, fortunately you were right," I say, and he returns my smile.

"Guys, we won!" Ashley approaches, hugging both of us at once, and we return the hug. "And to celebrate, Mrs. Stone is taking us to Amour to celebrate," she speaks excitedly and we laugh.

Ashley is definitely the biggest fan of my mom's confectionery.

"Since she..." and I don't finish my sentence, as I see Richard arriving at the courthouse with another man, who must probably be his client.

"What is it, Mad?" Andrey and Ashley look back and see the same thing I do.

I look at my mother, who is standing with her back to him as she talks to David and Robert, and hope that he enters the building soon and she doesn't see him, because I don't want the joy she is feeling to fade.

I see that what I wanted isn't going to happen when he looks at me, being surprised due to me being in front of the courthouse and says something to his client, who enters the building, coming towards me soon after, making my mother see him and stare at him seriously.

"Hi, Madison," he says as soon as he stops in front of me, standing next to my friends.

"Hi, Richard," I say and he gives a weak smile as he lowers his head denying something.

"Can I talk to you alone?" He asks and I look at Andrey and Ashley, who both get the message and join in with my mom and the rest of the guys, who are now all together, staring at us.

"What do you want to tell me?"

"What are you doing here?"

"I was at a trial. To tell the truth in two."

"Two trials? What were those trials about?"

"It was the trial of my former history teacher for harassing me and other female students and of Principal Williams for negligence," and now he looks at me shocked.

"When did those happen? Why didn't you tell me?"

"That happened on October 21, the same day Anthony died. And I didn't tell you because I didn't know where you were," and he agrees clumsily.

"And they were convicted, right?" and I just nod.

Before he left home, we didn't communicate much, because I hardly saw him and when I did, he didn't talk to me. But when we did I felt ignored, but not uncomfortable like I'm feeling now.

"I went to our old house the other day and learned that you had changed."

"We couldn't stay in a house where the good memories were already beginning to be tainted by the sadness of the bad times."

"Look.. I know I did wrong by you and that..." I interrupt him.

"Not just with me, but mostly with my mother who has been with you through your ups and downs."

"Yeah.. I know I did wrong by both of you and I know I wasn't a good father. So I want to apologize to you," and now I'm the one who's surprised.

"What made you realize that and want to apologize?" 

"That day at the mall, I saw how we looked like complete strangers and I know that it was my fault.. I know I hurt you."

"I was harassed, I lost one of the most important people in my life, I fled Los Angeles and was gone for two weeks and you knew nothing. It doesn't hurt that you moved on without us, it hurts that by doing that you showed us that we meant nothing to you."

He looks at me and says nothing, just lowers his head as if disappointed in himself, causing us to sit in an extremely uncomfortable silence for some time.

"Well... I have a session now, so I'm going." He stares at me again. "You may not believe it, but I was happy to see you again," and I just nod my head. "Bye.." he turns and starts to walk away.

All my life, I've wanted to hear him say that he was happy to have me around, but I never imagined that he would say that at a time that I wouldn't care about it anymore. 

But I have to be honest, my heart warmed a little hearing that.

"Dad," I say in a louder tone, causing the people who are waiting for me to look at me and he turns around looking surprisedly happy. "I excuse you."

He smiles and was going to come over to me, but his client appears at the door of the building and calls him, causing him to have to give up.

"Then call my office so I can give you my number and address," he says and I nod, then he smiles once more at me and enters the building after waving to my mother, who pretends not to see.

She and the guys approach me, looking at me curiously.

"What did he want with you for you to say you'd excuse him?" My mother questions and I answer without suspense.

"He came to apologize to me for the things he did," I say and everyone is surprised, but they remain silent as my mother seems to think of something.

"At least he realized how wrong he was with you," she says.

"Yes. But I think he owes you an apology more than he does me," I say, and the mood doesn't even seem like it was a few minutes ago. "But it doesn't matter because it doesn't affect you anymore," I try to fix what I said and she smiles, but I know it is just to change the subject.

"Let's not spoil this great moment for us. Let's go to Amour," she says and we celebrate, making her laugh. "I will just call Christopher to see if he can meet us there and I will call two ubers too, because I can't take everyone in my car."

"Do you want me to call the uber while you call Christopher to speed things up?" Ashley offers herself and we laugh. "What? I just want to help."

"I accept and I appreciate your help, Ashley," my mom speaks and walks away from us a little to call Chris while Ashley picks up her cell phone to call the uber.