Chapter 5

*Shayna's P.O.V

Now that my grandma's gone I honestly just quit school. Shane doesn't like it but I can't do it anymore. I lost my mom and grandma. This year was just really bad for me. I have to be honest I haven't left this bed in weeks. I just sit here, watch YouTube, eat, and cry. My phone rang. "Hello?" I said unenthusiastically. "Hey girl. How are you doing?" Jaylynn asked me. "Well I still haven't left my bed."

"Shayna. You can't stay in that bed forever."

"Sure I can."

"Anyways I called to let you know that they sold the lot for the money you asked for originally."

"Really?"

"Yeah. I told them to put in your bank account."

"Thanks Jaylynn."

"No problem. Don't just lay in bed all day please."

"Okay."

"I'll talk to you later."

"Alright bye." I hung up and put my phone down on my nightstand. I looked around my room. Maybe Jaylynn is right. I should get out of bed. I've gained a few pounds since I've been in bed for weeks. I got out of bed and changed into shorts and a tank top, and grabbed my Penny Board. Shane tried to help me learn how to ride it, but I got depressed and I didn't get to learn to do much. I took it to the road, and started riding it. I could stay on it pretty well. I looked down the road and saw Shane in his truck driving towards my house. "Hey look who got out of bed." Shane said stopping in front of me. "Yeah I need the exercise." I said walking up to his window. I kissed him. "How are you doing today?" Shane asked. "Well considering I got out of bed today I'm doing better." I said with a sly smile. "Everybody misses you at school."

"Like who?" I asked. "Alyssa, Abby, Seth, and Hannah."

"I don't think I'm coming back to school. I have too much going on."

"You need your education Shayna."

"I think I know everything I need to know."

"What are you doing right now."

"Isn't kind of self explanatory." I said holding my Penny Board up. "Would you like to come with me?"

"Where are we going?"

"Do we have to be going somewhere?"

"Good point. Hold on let me go get my key and my phone." I looked at the time on my phone and I noticed that today was September 13th, which means today is my birthday. I totally forgot since I've been in bed for weeks. I ran back outside and locked the front door. I got in the passenger seat of Shane's truck. He drove out of our little town, and to another town called Port Charlotte. Shane pulled into the mall parking lot. "The mall?"

"Yeah."

"Why are we here?"

"To hang out."

"Okay then?" I followed him into the mall as he was telling me stories about what had happened at school the past week. "Chace got moved into our math class." Shane said. "Oh really?" Chace was a really funny guy that said what ever was on his mind.

We hung out at the mall for a little bit then we headed back to Englewood. Instead of taking me home, he drove me to his house. "We just need stop here for a little bit."

"Okay." I followed him inside and all of my friends jumped out and yelled surprise. "Oh my goodness. Guys." Alyssa and Hannah hugged me. Someone put their hands over my eyes. "Guess who." I turned around to see Jaylynn. "No way!" I said embracing her. "Shane did you do this for me?" he nodded. I kissed him. "I honestly forgot that it was my birthday." I said whispering in his ear. He laughed. I introduced Jaylynn to all my friends. "Happy 18th birthday Shayna." Chace said. "Thanks." I walked over to Alyssa and Hannah and they were hanging out with Paxton. Paxton is Hannah's boyfriend. "Happy Birthday." Paxton said. "Thank you."

"Shayna!" Shane called. "Yes darling?" he gestured me to follow him to the back porch and everyone followed after me. There was a table filled with cupcakes. "They're vegan cupcakes of course." he said smiling. I hugged him. "I forgot the candles but we can sing for Shayna anyways." Shane said. They all sang happy birthday, and I started crying. "You guys are just so great." I said hugging Shane, and everyone hugged us.

The party was over, so Shane drove me and Jaylynn back to my house. "Thank you so much Shane."

"You're welcome babe." he said as he pulled into my driveway. "I love you." he said looking in my eyes. I kissed him. "Um hello. I'm still here." I laughed. "I'll see you tomorrow Shane."

"Okay."

I took Jaylynn back to the airport so she could get back to Alabama. I was pretty lonely now that my grandma was gone. I had Coco and Bob but they're not human, so you can't have a proper conversation with them. When I made it back to my house, I sat on the back porch watching the waves splash on the shore, and then Kalin and Myles crossed my mind. Then it hit me. I ran up to my grandma's room and got all her jewelry together and walked down to the pawn shop down the road. I got a good amount of money for the jewelry. I walked back home and called John to drive me to the bank so I could my money in it. It had about 30.5 million dollars in it now because I inherited some from my grandma when she died. "Could you wait here for about an hour." I said as he pulled in the driveway. "Sure thing." I ran inside, and hopped on my computer and bought myself a ticket to the first plane out of Florida to California. I packed all of the clothes that I normally wear, and every other necessary thing. I kissed Coco and Bob, and brought all my stuff out to the Range Rover. I got everything in the car including myself. "Where to Shayna?" John asked. "The airport." He pulled out of the driveway. "John would take care of Coco and Bob while I'm gone?"

"How long do you plan on being gone?" he asked. "A week. Two weeks at the most."

"Where are you headed?"

"California."

"Nice."

"Yeah. There's a key under the Tulip pot, so you can get in."

"Okay." For the first time in a while I finally felt a smile on my face. We made it to the airport and I got all my luggage out quickly. "Alright John. Keep in touch. I'll let you know when I'm gonna be back."

"Okay." I was so excited to get on that plane and get out of Florida.