9| Shit

Allena

My head is pounding when I wake up, and then I realize I'm in my bed. How the hell did I even make it to my bed?

I groggily stand up and walk to my bathroom, cleaning off the makeup I wore from dinner with Luca. My phone buzzes and I see a text from Kal.

Kal: Goodmorning star! Don't forget you have a meeting today!

Then, I see at least five websites he copied to me. I immediately open them all, horror creeping inside me. Luca and I are going viral. Literally. Everyone is calling us "that" new couple. I want to puke and then puke again. I open my Instagram, that Kal forces me to post on, and see I have thousands of new followers mainly from Italy. Just fucking great.

I groan, and slam my makeup remover on the counter and then decide to see the only people that will help me feel the tiniest bit better.

The hallways are busy with people running back and forth with boxes of light blue tape decorated fancily on top of them. I peer at one of the boxes and read : Lilliana's Pastries: Chocolate Cake

That bastard.

Lilliana's is probably the most prestigious bakery in all of New York, and now at least fifty boxes of cake are being brought into the house. I hold in a smile and go to my sister's room only to hear screaming coming from inside.

To my dismay the door is locked. The only answer is that Adonis must be in there. That's the only time their door is locked. When he does it. I sprint to my room, pushing open my door and running to my closet to grab the key to their room I keep in my underwear drawer. I had it designed ages ago, exactly for this reason.

I run back, successfully unlocking their door and shoving it open. Eleni is on the floor, her knees pulled to her chest and her head pushed into her knees. "Laney?" She whimpers, peering up at me. Then, both of us a hear a scream coming from their connecting playroom.

"Eleni, stay here, ok?" I whisper softly. She just nods, shaking. I quietly push open their playroom door and almost stand frozen in shock, horrified.

Callie is pushed into the corner, Adonis' hand on her chest, holding her in place as his arm comes down to slap her across the face, sending blood spewing out of her nose.

"Stop it!" I shriek. Immediately Adonis lets go of Callie, his attention turning to me. "Don't touch her." I growl. Callie moves past him and runs to me, burying her face into my legs. Adonis slowly walks over, an amused smirk on his face. I gently push Callie behind me and she takes the hint of runs to Eleni.

He's only inches away from now, and I can smell that he's been drinking. That always seems to be the start of his anger. Alcohol. "You." He smirks, running his thumb along the frame of my face. "Surprised me." His words slur together and then he chuckles. "You did well with the Italian boy." He mumbles. "Polý kalá." Then he jabs his finger an inch away from my face. "That is the only reason why I do not beat you tonight."

And then he stumbles out of the room, slamming the door shut. I immediately go to my sisters, kneeling down to their height as they run into my body, each sobbing into my shoulder.

"It's ok." I whisper as soothingly as I can. "It's ok, you're safe now." I bite my tongue, trying to stop myself from shedding a tear. It's my job to protect them. I promised myself that when they were born, the first second I laid eyes on them. And I once again failed. "Come on girls." I whisper, standing up and walking to their bathroom. I set them each on the counter.