37| A Sister

Luca

It's been two days since Allena's been in the hospital. Which is two days she hasn't woken up.

Gray and Maeve arrived quickly after we did, and took the twins to eat something proper before finding a place to stay while Gray promised to deal with Adonis.

I stayed.

The doctors insisted that I shouldn't stay in the room with her, especially since I wasn't blood. But after snapping and reminding them that Allena was still a minor, they let me stay.

Not that it would have mattered anyways. Nothing could have taken me away.

She had lost a lot of blood. That's all I really understood. The knife had hurt her somewhere else, so they put her to sleep. An induced fucking coma. They told me a bunch of other shit too, but it didn't really matter. I just wanted her to be ok.

A soft knock came on the door, pulling me out of my thoughts. Gray stepped in a moment later holding papers.

"Adonis signed these." He mumbles.

"Adonis is dead." I snap back.

"No one knows that yet." Gray says, staring at Allena. "When she wakes up...you can marry her."

"If she forgives me that is." I mumble.

"She will." Gray nods.

"I love her Gray." I mumble. "I didn't think I did. I mean I knew I cared but god... seeing her like this...thinking she might be dead...it makes me feel like I can't breathe. Like the whole world is fucking collapsing on me, and I have no way out. And I miss her. I miss her glaring at me. I miss her laugh. I miss how I could make her so worked up with two words. I can't fucking lose her, Gray. I can't."

I couldn't say anything else before my body was wracked with sobs and Gray's arms wrapped around me.

Today marks day three of Allena not waking up. The twins hasn't been to see her, so Gray ans Maeve brought them in.

"She looks happy." Eleni whispers, clutching onto Maeve's hand. "Doesn't she, Callie?"

But Callie doesn't respond. Her eyes are trained onto the floor, not looking at anyone. Gray had told me Callie had been unusually quiet. I think she blamed herself.

"You wanna go for a walk, Callie?" I ask her softly. "It can get a bit stuffy in here, huh?" She just gave me a small nod, and together the two of us left and wandered into the hall.

"What's going to happen to Allena?" Callie asks almost immediately after we leave the room.

"She's going to get better..."

"No." Callie snaps, shaking her head. "She killed Adonis. Those people go to jail. Forever."

"Sweetheart." I say softly, kneeling down to her height. "Allena isn't going anywhere."

"But she hurt Adonis." Callie cries. "Everyone will be mad at her."

"Well, Allena did...she did kill Adonis, but it was out of self defense. Do you know what that means?" I ask. She shakes her head no. "Well, it means that Adonis attacked Allena first, and if she didn't fight back he was going to hurt her. And when we tell police that, Allena won't get in trouble."

"Do you promise?" Callie asks. "I can't lose Laney."

"I promise." I nod.

The two of us sit in the hallway together for a little longer in silence. I think it's what we both need. We watch as other families pass by, some happy, some sad, some waiting for answers like we are. They all seem to mix together.

"One time for our birthday Laney baked us the best chocolate cake ever." Callie says quietly. "Adonis didn't let her buy a cake, so she made one."

"Did she?" I smile.

"Mhm. It was so good. And so pretty." Callie nods. "She's a good baker."

"She's good at a lot of things, isn't she?" I say softly. Callie nods, fumbling with her fingers.

"She's a good sister." Callie says quietly after a minute. "The best sister." She tucks her little curl behind her ear and snuggles further into her seat.
"I wanna be like that for Eleni." She sighs, and then scrunches up her nose. "But I don't think I'm there yet...I'm not as good as Allena."

"Just because you're not Allena doesn't make you any less of a sister." I say quietly, grabbing her hand. "You're a good sister, Callie."

She smiles and lays her small head on my shoulder. "Thanks for saving Laney, Luca."

"Of course, baby."

"Thanks for saving all of us."