35| The Last Time

Allena

We arrived in New York hours later and headed straight to Adonis manor. I felt sick and was shaking, knowing that there was a very good chance he would try to kill me. The only thing that kept me slightly sane was the gun Luca had gifted me which was tucked into my pocket.

"I don't want to go back." Eleni cries, clutching my hand as we climb out of the Uber.

"This will be the last time, baby." I sigh. "I promise. Do you guys remember what to do?"

"Go straight to our room, lock the door, and grab all of our stuff. Don't come out until it's you." Callie says.

"Good job, Eleni listen to Callie, ok?" Eleni nods, and my heart hurts that I had to bring them back here. But if Luca does try and kill me, or want me dead the twins need to be as close to me as possible.

I push open the door and practically run to get the twins to their room, locking their door before going to mine.

I move to my closet searching for the box my mother left me. I've never opened it, in fact I promised myself I wouldn't, but now I'm hoping there's something in there that can tell me more.

"Look who came back." A voice says from behind me. I freeze, my hand quickly reaching for the gun in my pocket. Then, I slowly turn to Adonis.

"Do not come near me." I growl, holding out the gun. "I'll shoot."

"You're not going to shoot me." Adonis smirks. "You'll go to jail and your sisters will end up in the system. Is that what you want?" He asks.

"I know why you're here." He sighs, sitting on my bed. "It's stupid of you."

"Stupid of me to claim what is mine?" I ask. "You're psychotic..."

"No, stupid of you to think I won't kill my own niece." He says dryly.

"You have everything." I whisper, a small tear escaping my eye. "And yet you continue to take every fucking thing away from me."

"I'm the bad guy?" He scoffs. "When my bastard brother died, I was the one who took you in when your idiot mother couldn't do it herself."

"Oh and you were such a great uncle?" I scoff. "Beating your ten year old niece almost every night?"

"Don't act so fucking innocent." He snaps, standing up. "He gave everything to you. A child who he never even got to really meet. And me? I'm just your place holder."

"Well Adonis, I'm not my father. You can't punish me for his choices." I growl. "It didn't make you any happier...did it?"

"No, but your death might." He sighs. "I honestly never considered it. I thought controlling you would be easier, and for awhile it was, but now that the Romano boy is in the picture...well that complicates things."

"I'm not letting you win this time." I snap. "You'll lose, and everyone will know you for who you really are."

He smiles, tilting his head. "Look at you." He sighs. "Acting all grown. Have you forgotten your place, Allena?"

"No, but I think it's time you start learning yours." I growl, pressing the gun to his head. "You're going to go back to your room and stay there. You're going to let me leave, and then you won't follow me. Otherwise...I will shoot your fucking brains out. Understood?"

He gives me an annoyed glance, but grunts in response, getting up, my gun still pressed to his back.

When he leaves, I click the door locked behind him, and breathe a sigh of relief, setting the gun down and continuing to look for the box.

Twenty minutes later, I can't find it in my closet, room, or bathroom, and decide to check the attic.

I open my door to grab the twins first, but instead I'm met by Adonis, and in seconds his hands are wrapped around my throat. Shit.

Without saying anything, he shoves me into the room, shutting and locking the door behind him.

I try to move from my spot on the floor to grab the gun, but he kicks me in the stomach, sending me back down.

"Thought you were going to leave here alive?" He asks, grabbing my foot. "I thought I've taught you better than that."

He drags me to the other side of my room before grabbing me by my hair and pulling me up, holding me in place against the wall with his arm. My eyes wander to his pocket as his free arm slowly reveals a knife.

"No." I cry, trying to free myself. "You won't."

"If you think I won't, then you clearly don't know me very well. Now go ahead." He smiles, breathing down my neck. "Ask for me to kill you."

"Fuck you." I growl.

"You don't think I know your sisters are in their room?" He asks. "Disobey me, and all three of you die. Your choice."

Tears pool freely out of my eyes as I realize this is it. This is truly the end.

"Beg me for it." He whispers.

Defeated I strangle out, "Kill me. Please kill me."

Satisfied, he raises the knife and I squeeze my eyes shut.

"LANEY!" A voice screams. My eyes fly open and Adonis turns his head in the direction of my door. I quickly break from his grasp just as he realizes and misses, the knife pushed into my stomach.

I gasp, barely making into my dresser and I try to grab the gun before Adonis, trips me and we both fall. My eyes lay on the gun, now only a few inches away.

Before I can do anything, he tries to stab me again, missing my chest and instead hitting my stomach again.

I groan in pain, as he towers over me. I knee him in the gut, not strong enough to knock him off of me, but enough to knock the knife out of his hands and out of reach.

I try to focus, my eyes becoming more unfocused and just barely feel my fingers wrap around the gun. Just as I feel the knife plunge into my chest, I aim the gun at him, pressing the trigger.

And it goes off.