00-2. BITE-SIZED DREAMS

DOWNTOWN

DOWNTOWN.
prologue | bite-sized dreams.

"Jiayi," My father coaxed, honey wound up in his voice

"Jiayi," My father coaxed, honey wound up in his voice. I couldn't face him, clutching my bear plush closer to my chest. He sighed, eyes still on the road before glancing over. I saw him looking out of the corner of my eye. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner that we were leaving Busan. I thought you'd be okay with it, so I got us a bigger apartment."

"It's fine," I deadpanned, trying to keep it simple. I was extremely mad, yes, but dad worked hard to get us to move to Seoul. He got a new job, a new apartment, and everything. All he wanted was to spoil me with luxury, considering that it was just him and me. "I understand your circumstances. You should've told me earlier, though."

"I get it," He nodded, putting his hand over mine. I finally faced him, pressing my lips together. "Again, Jiayi, I'm sorry. But rest assured, you will love it in Seoul!"

"Will I?" I uttered, looking out the window again at the night scenery. I only gazed at the stars, watching as they ran across the sky with hopes and dreams in their pockets. My eyes tried to consider them all, but as we continued driving, I lost count. To count all of them, I'd have to have a million eyes, one for each tiny star.

To be among those stars would be nice. It's where many lie, and where many enjoy residing. If I was a star, I'd peer down on the world, taking care of a human, somehow, somewhere–so that things would never hurt them. I felt a smile creep on my face, even if the anger still rumbled in my heart. Stars are pretty.

Seoul must also be a place of stars. Lots of famous people live here, like singers, artists, writers, and actors. All among the stars are celebrities, protected more or less by their single star.

Maybe I could be a star if I tried hard enough. What would I be, though? Nothing I mentioned piqued my interest. Sure, I'd eventually have to go and finish college, balancing that and a new life here–which meant I'd have to pick a job I'm destined to. Hopefully, father doesn't force me into that yet.

I want to meet new people and enjoy the time I have in Seoul. Sure, it could be permanent, but I'm hoping it's temporary. I don't like going to a whole new region, and I want to go back to my original home. I'd buy the house if I could.

The stop is subtle, my father parking the car and turning off the engine. "We're here," Our car's a deadbeat, so even if we turn off the engine, it took a few button presses to actually turn it off. Dad handed me the keys, beckoning toward the apartment. "Go ahead and open the door. Take some of this while you're at it."

I hummed in reply, jogging out to the backseat and opening the car door. Taking a box or two, I hoisted it into my right arm and closed the door with my foot. "Going up," I informed my father, who mocked my humming as a reply. I climbed up the stairs, my grip on the boxes beginning to falter despite having enough strength to make it to the third floor. Just in time, the boxes fell right in front of our apartment door, a brief word of 'shit' leaving my mouth.

I grumbled loudly to express my anger at the side of items scattered upon the floor, hoping that my sounds wouldn't wake anyone up at two in the morning. "Need help?" A disembodied voice spoke, causing me to flinch. I heard his brief chuckle, my head spinning to face him, and his auburn hair caught my eyes first. "Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you."

"You're fine," I excused, clearing my throat as he began picking up the items. Awkward. I quickly inserted the keys into the lock, trying to make the process quicker. Kicking the door open softly, the boy picked up both of the boxes and handed them to me.

"Thank you so much."

"Of course," He smiled, turning back around to his apartment. I peeked at his apartment as I put the boxes on the ground in the living room. This guy lived right across from us. He unlocked his door, a brief groan leaving his lips as he raked his hair. He must've noticed I was staring, because he stopped for a moment, turning around. I quickly looked away, closing the door behind me. The boy chuckled, itching the nape of his neck. He had very distinct features and rather big eyes. "Have yourself a good evening–or well, morning."

"Thanks, you too," I grinned to lessen the tension, hands holding onto my keys. Finally, he closed the door, and I let out a heavy exhale.

"Jiayi, come help me!" I heard from the stairs, the demand making me groan.

"Coming, Dad!"