21. SUICIDAL STRESS

DOWNTOWN

DOWNTOWN.
chapter twenty-one | suicidal stress.

A week had passed. Donghyuck and Taeyong had pushed most of us to the edge, and it was beginning to take a major toll on a lot of the Neos. Yuta began to get antsy, recklessly driving around the circuit and earning a scolding from a tired Mark. Chaewon was screaming and yelling about how they keep wrecking cars, and hasn't gotten proper sleep in about two days.

Taeyong would just murmur to himself like a psycho, making Jaemin restless about how this whole thing would eventually cause our downfall. He assumed we were going to be killed, and even almost went to the Luminaries (or just Karina) to beg for an ounce of forgiveness. Donghyuck and I, well...

"How's training going?" We slowly walked toward the apartment building, the depth of night swallowing me whole. I nodded slowly, hoping that would be enough. "Is it too hard?"

"A bit," I answered honestly, pursing my lips. "But I have a feeling you're going easy on me."

He chuckled, turning his head. "Am I? I don't really notice it–"

"Do you think I made the wrong decision?" I worried endlessly seeing everyone in such bad shape. It made me a wreck. Deep down, I wondered if I ruined even more lives. "It's like if we push anyone even a centimeter closer to the cliff, they'd be willing to jump off the edge. I don't want to be the reason something goes wrong."

"It won't be your fault, so please, don't blame yourself. The training is just a bit more rigorous considering that we're going against people who have done street racing their whole life," Donghyuck was a bit concerned, eyebrows furrowing at me. "They'll be fine after one last evaluation. I'll give them a break since it's beginning to worry you."

"You don't have to do that just because of me."

"I want to," Donghyuck shrugged, suppressing an unneeded smile. "But promise me something."

"No," I declined, shaking my head. "Your promises are unusually condescending when it comes to racing. It makes me feel like I am undeserving of being a Neo."