24. INCHEON

DOWNTOWN

DOWNTOWN.
chapter twenty-four | incheon.

"Are you ready?" Donghyuck asked me, fixing my protective gear

"Are you ready?" Donghyuck asked me, fixing my protective gear. I wore a red jumpsuit, something of racer-like fabric. It sat tight on me, and I almost felt like it would peel my skin off if I wasn't careful enough. After clipping the straps at the bottom, his hands sat on my winged helmet. I shook my head at his first question, nervous. "Don't worry. Your suit's fire-resistant, and as long as you stay en route, you'll be fine."

"Thanks for the risky pep talk," I rolled my eyes. "Besides, shouldn't you be concerned for yourself? I don't need all this babying."

"You're the youngest Neo in terms of joining," Donghyuck scoffed. "I'll care about you a bit more now, and then throw you away later."

"Hey!" I pushed him, making Donghyuck snicker. I could see Chaewon out of the corner of my eye, fixing up a car. I patted his shoulder, beckoning to the mechanic with a tilt of my head. "I'll be back."

"Okay."

I walked over to Chaewon, watching as she wiped clean some of the car. She glanced at me for a moment, turning back to the open door. "What do you want?"

"You," She perked up, looking me up and down, pressing her lips together. "I want to apologize to you."

"Real funny, Miss Liu, but I don't think–" I interrupted her by hugging her from behind, shaking her every which way. "J-Jiayi! Get off of me!"

"Not until you forgive me~" I cooed, hugging her even tighter. "Come on, aren't we the indestructible pair!? What will I do if you leave me in the dust?!"

"That is–god, you're strong–your problem!" She finally pushed me off, making me take a few steps back. With the cloth in her hands, she crossed her arms like a mom. I pouted at her reaction. "Don't give me that look. You know what you did wrong."

"You're at fault too!" I whined, pointing at her. "Let's just make up, already? I'm condoning for my sins by acting like this right now. I am not a beggar, Chaewon, but for you, I am going the extra mile! Can't you give me a second chance?"