43. BLOOD RED AND TRUST

DOWNTOWN

DOWNTOWN.
chapter forty-three | blood red and trust.

"Don't look at me like that, Jiayi," I sniffled, overcome with emotions at the fact Shotaro had scratches all along him and a broken arm

"Don't look at me like that, Jiayi," I sniffled, overcome with emotions at the fact Shotaro had scratches all along him and a broken arm. Clearing my throat, I wiped away any tears that might've slipped.

"Like what, Shotaro?"

"Like you're the one hurting," He laughed slowly, hissing when he laughed a little too hard. "I'll be fine. Whoever was chasing you guys didn't go after us, anyway, it was just that I didn't see a single turn."

"Hyung," Seunghan whined, shaking his free hand. "How could you protect me like that? Look at yourself in this state. Don't you have to race?"

"I will be fine before the next race we have–won't I?" Shotaro looked for confirmation from Donghyuck, but even his judgment was hazy. Donghyuck didn't know if Shotaro would even be capable of lifting a finger because this condition wasn't as promising, but for the sake of Shotaro's pleading eyes, Dongyuck nodded. "See? Seunghan, everything will be okay."

And then he turned to me, adding, "I will be okay, Jiayi."

"You're stupid," I poked him, causing him to hiss. I didn't feel much remorse. How many more people will get hurt? "Don't you know how dangerous it is to drive in such a place? I thought you were skilled at driving!"

"I am!" Shotaro defended himself, pointing at me with his unwrapped fingers. "You know what, ugh, you're annoying me. Can't you be a little kinder to a patient!?"

"You put yourself in this hospital bed, stupid!"

"Why, I should–" Donghyuck put his arm in front of me as Shotaro began to lift himself up, implying to him that there was no fighting me. I stuck out my tongue as Shotaro grimaced, lying back. "You all should leave soon. I'll be fine for the night, it's just a broken arm, anyway."

"I'll stay," I took a seat, causing Shotaro to stare at me, bewildered. "I mean it."

"Are you sure, Jiayi?" Seunghan asked. "I can stay, too."

"The hospital only permits one visitor," Taeyong mentioned, hands in his pockets. Staring at Shotaro, I could see something flash in his eyes, something like a memory. Being at a hospital after the last traumatic attack we went through wasn't going to help Taeyong mentally. At all. We should speed things up. "It's best that if anyone wants to stay, it should be her. Jiayi's good company."