46. AN ODE TO REMEMBER

DOWNTOWN

DOWNTOWN.
chapter forty-six | an ode to remember.

I took a sip of coffee, wincing. Father rubbed his temples in full displeasure, or rather, confusion. "So you're saying, all the times you went out, and the reason that Donghyuck decided to get me a new truck, was because you've been out racing with your friends?"

I had to tell him eventually. I didn't think it would be over breakfast, though, where him accidentally seeing my racing suit hung up on my mirror would lead him to the drastic yet true conclusion. I took another sip, wordless, nodding. "Holy shit."

"Woah, I've never heard you curse, Dad!"

"That's not the point, Liu Jiayi!" Shit. He brought out my full name. He was really fired up. "How long has it been? Since the day we arrived in Seoul? With our neighbor that had driven you somewhere that night?"

"Yeah, pretty much."

"And you're telling me just now?!" Dad slammed his hands on the counter, startling me. He inhaled sharply at my surprise, shaking his head. "I can't believe this. Although I'm glad you have friends and you're having the time of your life, Jiayi, how could you not tell me? What if one day, you don't come home? How will I ever redeem myself as your father? Can't you think of me for once?"

"I always think of you, Dad, so please, don't be like this," I frowned. "I didn't want to tell you sooner because I knew you'd stop me. This is what I really want to do for now, okay? And I'm safe doing it!"

"Tell me," He beckoned to his ear, swallowing. "You met Donghyuck through this street racing thing, right?"

Damn it. "Yes."

"Why I should–!" He raised his hand, but he would never dare hit me. Instead, it lowered back to the counter, a groan escaping his lips. "Jiayi, please, are you trying to kill me?!"

"Dad," I begged, putting my cup down. "You have to hear me out. I thought you wanted me to find a community, find a place I belonged?"

Father's eyes softened. "I do, but–"

"But," I continued, trying to smile. "I'm alive and safe. I'm happy doing what I do. Although I want it to be something permanent, Dad, it's only temporary. I'm going to live. I'm treasured there, Dad–by all my friends and by Donghyuck. I promise to come home unscathed every night."