13. ON THE BRINK

DOWNTOWN

DOWNTOWN.
chapter thirteen | on the brink.

My head hurt.

"You're awake," A masculine voice called. I turned to the left, seeing the auburn-haired boy. "I thought you'd be dead."

"Shut up," I replied, making him scoff. "Where's Chaewon?"

"That's who you're most concerned about? Not Donghyuck, not why you're in my apartment, not about your father?" I shook my head. "Okay, damn. She's at work. Now, tell me–why is it that after you two went to the Luminaries' house together, he hasn't been answering my calls? Nobody's at that. You both didn't even come back together."

"None of your business."

"You can't push me away as easily as you can with Donghyuck," He crossed his arms, and as I sat up, came to sit on the edge of the bed. "Tell me. What should I know, Jiayi?"

"He and Minho fought. That's all."

"I knew they would. But, did it ever cross your mind on why he wanted to go with you?" I shook my head. "You're a Neo now. You can become all friendly with the girls, and get close to the guys, but you're bonded to us. You chose this life, and all he was trying to do was reinforce it–however, it seems that you threw him off."

"He doesn't care about what happens to me or to himself. He's reckless."

"You can say that, but you don't really know him that well yet. He's probably the most calm, organized person on the team. If he's reckless, well, you can call the rest of us mental," Taeyong replied. "He's just a bitch to you, so you don't know his true intentions. If you talked to him about it–about your story–maybe he'll understand you better."

I scoffed, looking down at the duvet. "I'll just seem misunderstood. My story is one-sided. Everyone thinks I'm overreacting when I talk about it."

"Tell me about it," Taeyong's eyes peered into mine, holding my wrist to get my attention. "Even if it's just you, you seem hindered by it–so it's serious."

"I..." I was hesitant, trying to force back the memories that were resurfacing. "No. I can't. I'm sorry, Taeyong–" I removed his hand, forcing myself out of the covers and standing up. "–I'm sorry. I just don't trust anyone enough like that. I don't want to get stepped on again."