31. FIRE ON FIRE

DOWNTOWN

DOWNTOWN.
chapter thirty-one | fire on fire.

"We're back!" I heard the keys jingle as I leaned against the counter, looking at my watch

"We're back!" I heard the keys jingle as I leaned against the counter, looking at my watch. Soobin sat on the couch, eyes sliding over to the door. Dad was still out working, which meant I could beat up a certain someone as I pleased. "Oh, Soobin. Where is she?" The door opened and Donghyuck entered first, searching for me in the hallway—but finally noticing me in the kitchen, the corner of his lips rose. Soobin cleared his throat to signal my displeasure, making the racer frown. "You don't seem happy to see me."

"I'm not," I grumbled. Taeyong chuckled as he put his arm around Donghyuck's shoulder, leaning forward.

"Not my call," Taeyong reminded me, his other hand pointing at my face. "But, don't we deserve congratulations? We won our first race."

"Con. Grats."

Donghyuck shrugged Taeyong off him, taking a step forward. I took another sip of my tea, beckoning to my bedroom. "Let's talk."

Jaemin, Mark, Chaewon, and Yuta entered just as Donghyuck followed me into my bedroom, becoming suspicious as they yelled for us to come out. I locked the door behind me and slammed my cup down, grabbing his collar in the process. He put his hands up in defense although his eyes never left mine, indicating he'd be ready to pick a fight.

"Why'd you stop me from racing in Busan, Donghyuck?"

"You'd get yourself killed if you put yourself on the road in this state—in whatever state you were in before," He cleared his throat, eyes moving between mine. "I won't let you risk your life over a single race."

I shook him by his collar, exhaling heavily. "I would've been fucking fine! You know my limits!"

"Get over it. It's already over!" Donghyuck exclaimed, pointing at me. "The real issue is where did you go the night before the race to come back drenched in rain?"

I felt my hands loosen around his collar, letting them drop. "Nothing."

"You can't fucking lie to me, Ji. I know you better than anyone in here, and—"