10. RECKLESS DRIVING

DOWNTOWN

DOWNTOWN.
chapter ten | reckless driving.

Saturday finally rolled around

Saturday finally rolled around. I was anxiously waiting for Taeyong to come, especially when he was doing me a favor tonight. Chaewon bumped me, an elbow nudging against my arm. "Don't be too worried now, love. We need at least four to race."

I shook my hand, biting my nails. "That's not what I'm worried about. I'll get a car from someone," I replied. "But don't you think that Donghyuck being sick for around a week is weird? Like-"

"Donghyuck?" She whispered. "He said you can say that here?"

"Yeah. We've become... acquaintances," I nodded, explaining myself. "Even Taeyong said that me saying his name was interesting. Why are you both so shocked?"

"Everyone else calls him Haechan here. You're the exception!" She giggled, making me push her slightly. "Fine fine. I don't mean to upset you, but don't you hear yourself?" I think. Why? Is she weirded out by the fact I was worried about Donghyuck? "It's your first race, but you're more worried about a sick person? He'll be fine."

"Whatever you say," I bit my lower lip. "Chaewon, do I still have time to make my decision?"

She furrowed her eyebrows. "About what?"

"To choose what team I'm on."

"Oh, well, I suppose so, if–" And right on time, Taeyong pulled into the circuit with the neon orange Mustang that I requested, parked it, and got out of the car. He swung the keys around his pointer finger, soon stopping in front of me. The keys hung, and just as I tried grabbing it, covered it with his hand. "You're lucky Haechan was too sick to question me thoroughly after asking me to borrow his car. Never in my life have I been so scared, and I'm older than him!"

"Wait a fucking minute–" Chaewon pointed between me and her brother, then kept her finger on me. "You're... a Neo now!?"

"I suppose–loud and proud," Then, he let go of the keys and let them hang again. I took the bundle, looking at the keys sitting in my palm. Then, looking back up at him, I expressed a grin. "I owe you, Taeyong. Thank you again! I won't let you down."