17. INNOCENCE IN WHITE WALLS

DOWNTOWN

DOWNTOWN.
chapter seventeen | innocence in white walls.

We all sat around Renjun, whose chest silently rose up and down

We all sat around Renjun, whose chest silently rose up and down. A girl and Jaemin were seated on the side, the woman slowly taking out the bullet from Jaemin's shoulder. She slapped him for a moment, attracting our attention. "Sorry," She mumbled. "I'm upset."

"Winter," Right. Chaewon mentioned her once. She's an old friend of Karina but dropped her due to street racing. She slapped him again, making us turn once more. "What the hell was that for?"

"Breaking up with Jimin," Then, we all faced Renjun again. Everything seemed to be stable, the doctor said, but he could relapse if the wound was deeper than it was seen in surgery. If he doesn't wake up in a few days, it's safe to say... he'll be dead.

After a few minutes, Jaemin was motionless. That would be an understatement–rather, he was so still, we thought he was inanimate. He didn't blink, didn't cry, nor did his fingers shake. The only thing reassuring us that he was still breathing was the low mumbles whenever he'd choke on his exhales.

"Why'd you break up with her?" Chaewon broke it.

I looked over at Mark, who was the only person besides myself who knew the truth. "None of your business."

"Don't talk to Chaewon like that, Jaemin. How are we supposed to help you?" Taeyong sassed. "But, if all you want is insults, then good going. You officially have us in the claws of The Luminaries."

Jaemin gritted his teeth, glaring up at his teammate. "It wasn't on purpose."

"Then what should I believe, Jaemin?" Taeyong put his hands on his hips, enraged. "We're in a damn war with street racers! What happened to loving her forever, Ja–"

"I don't love her anymore!" Jaemin interrupted, shouting into his friend's face. As he did, he stood up, trying to grab Taeyong's collar, but Winter had grabbed him by his injured arm. Still, Jaemin kept his cold glare, even as the auburn-haired boy didn't give him a reaction. Jaemin began wincing, definitely from his shoulder pain, but kept his ground. I wanted to speak, but not to get a glare sent my way, I kept quiet. "You guys don't need to know anything about it. Don't pretend you guys know me."