26. TO THE EDGE

DOWNTOWN

DOWNTOWN.
chapter twenty-six | to the edge.

"Dad," I begged, but his stern expression was convincing me more than my trauma could

"Dad," I begged, but his stern expression was convincing me more than my trauma could. "I've moved on, and I'll be safe. Chaewon's coming! A lot of my friends here in Seoul, who know what happened, they'll be there too! I'll be safe, dad–"

"I don't worry about you. I know you're going to be okay, and that your friends will protect you. I'm not concerned," Dad sighed, face in his hands. "It's them, Jiayi. They're still out there, waiting for you to return to Busan. That's how bad it is, and that's what I'm worried about. What if they get you? What if they're just waiting for the right time to strike? I don't want to lose you."

"And you won't," I reassured him, although the fact of the matter was that if I told him we'd be racing and bringing guns, he'd be livid. "Dad, please. It'll be a two-week trip in one area of Busan, the very populated one. Nobody would try to hurt me."

"I still... I don't know," Conflicted, my father groaned. "You getting hurt would hurt me. I know you have yet to tell me the full story, and all I know is that they've used you, but I refuse to have them do something grave worse–"

Knock! Knock, knock!

I checked the time. 9:47 AM. Nobody should be at the door, even woken up. What was the deal? Dad and I locked eyes, confused, until my hand reached for the handle and opened the door. Donghyuck was at the foot of our door, wearing his protective outfit and holding a basket of fruits. "Hello, Mr. Liu," He greeted my father, bowing his head before sticking out the basket of the fruits. "I was going to wait until our decided time because Ji asked me to, but I was already waiting and overheard your conversation."

"J-Ji?" My father repeated, instantly getting the wrong idea. If I were to defend Donghyuck, saying that he wasn't my boyfriend, I think the situation would get even worse. He quickly took the basket out of Donghyuck's hands, clearing his throat. "Sorry about what you heard. We're both very stubborn."

"No, it's okay. After all, you're family," He beckoned to the both of us, lifted his head, and cleared his throat. "But, I wanted to let you know, Mr. Liu, that I'll be beside your daughter at all times if you allow her to go to Busan. I'll update you every day, I'll protect her, and I'll make sure nobody touches her. It's the least I can do."