52. THE AFTERMATH (FINALE)

DOWNTOWN

DOWNTOWN.
chapter fifty-two | the aftermath (finale).

My eyes shot open and I was in my bedroom. Silence overcame my surroundings although my eyes were frantic, searching for a sign. Nothing could be found: just my teddy bear that gawked back at me like a fool. Was it all a dream?

I scattered around my bedroom, finally seeing my helmet sitting on the floor by the door. I sighed of relief, heart palpitating, but at least I knew I was still grounded in the right timeline. Opening the door, several people–if you want to be exact, Donghyuck, Chaewon, Chaeyoung, and Taeyong–were sprawled in my living room, Dad sipping his coffee, staring at them. "Dad?" I announced, causing him to look my way. He smiled, grabbing a cup off the hanger, and handing it to me as I entered the small kitchen. "What are they doing here?"

"I'm surprised you don't remember–well, you came home exhausted anyway," Dad explained, beckoning to them. "I was watching some movies when your whole group came in, Donghyuck wearing your weight around his shoulder. He told me you guys won the grand race, and I said congrats. Then, I let them crash here. I figured you'd be worried in the morning, so here's your confirmation that nothing has changed."

I poured my coffee, eyes locked on the four familiar faces. Dad nudged me, but I didn't budge. "Those are real friends, all of them," Dad added. "Even the ones who you hang out with regularly. Maybe having you race all these times you lied to me wasn't so bad."

"I'm glad you feel that way," I snickered, putting creamer inside the mug. "But it's already too late for any of that to continue. I think all of them have begun to drive racing out of their head."

"Ji..." I heard a soft mutter, attracting my attention mid-work. I heard my boyfriend grumble, eyes slowly fluttering open. Dad side-eyed me, beckoning for me to help our guests get comfortable. I grimaced, walking over. He rubbed his eyes, hair messy, Taeyong's leg sitting in his lap. At the sight of me, he shoved Taeyong's leg off, earning a heavy grunt from his friend. I leaned forward, flattening down his hair, a grin making me laugh. "Did you get enough sleep?"

"Yeah, I did. It's an hour before noon," I looked at the clock on the wall, gazing back at him. "Did you get a lot of sleep? Was it comfortable? You could've just laid in bed with me."