03. THE GREEN LIGHT CIRCUIT

DOWNTOWN

DOWNTOWN.
chapter three | the green light circuit.

Saturday eventually came, and I made sure to prepare early

Saturday eventually came, and I made sure to prepare early. I texted Chaewon in the afternoon to inform her, and soon, I left my apartment and saw them waiting. Chaewon turned my way, a smile etched against her face. "Told you she'd be up for it," She said, sunglasses on her head as if it wasn't already dark. Taeyong turned around, facing me, swinging his motorcycle keys. A proud smile was expressed on his face, waving at me. I was a little more brave, wearing a dress similar to the one Chaewon wore when we went to the club. I don't know if I had to mention that I was wearing such a thing, but I wanted to be proud of myself for doing something out of my comfort zone.

It was a bit cold, so I fixed my jacket around my body. "Say, are we all going to fit on Taeyong's motorcycle?"

Chaewon laughed, crossing her arms. "That stupid, huh? Hell no, Jiayi. Taeyong's not the talent here, I am," Proudly, she intertwined our hands, guiding me down the stairwell. Occasionally, I'd stumble, and Taeyong would reach out to make sure I wasn't tugged too hard. He didn't make it noticeable, but when he'd look away, I knew he was up to something. "He's just here to make sure everyone's getting along at the circuit. He rides his own motorcycle, but today, you're getting a taste of my driving!"

I didn't know if it was a blessing or a curse, but her squeal of pure excitement was cute, and I guess if I die today, I'll die happy. As we made it to the parking lot, I noticed the two vehicles next to each other. Taeyong's motorcycle was neon green, and Chaewon's car was dark green. When I took a look at the front, I noticed it was a Mustang. She smacked the hood, hands on her hips. "This is my baby. I take her everywhere but work because gosh, office men... all they do is gawk!"

I chuckled at her words, feeling Taeyong brush against my shoulder. He stood to my right as Chaewon jumped in her car, turning on the engine. "Chaewon's our team's mechanic," Team? I gazed upward, seeing him press his lips together. "She likes the materialistic view of cars because they're complex. In reality, she doesn't race often."

I nodded, writing it down in my head. "Do you enjoy racing?"

"Of course I do, but there are people far better than me at it," He replied. "You'll meet them tonight–not all of them because we're all busy at different times–our team and the only other team allowed at the circuit."