𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓

It was the night of your date with Steve. He was due to pick you up any minute now and you were just buckling the strap on your black stilettos when your mom comes into the kitchen with you. It's reflexive by now to square your shoulders a little, preparing for her to berate you as she always did.

"Date tonight?" She asks halfheartedly as she heads to the refrigerator. Instinct has you looking over your outfit; a simple black dress with thin straps that hugged your figure and was just low cut enough to be cute without losing your modesty. 

You were waiting for her to comment on it, or to tell you to go change, as you nod at her. 

"Who with?" When she speaks, she doesn't look at you, beginning instead to chop broccoli for a dinner you wouldn't be attending. 

"Steve Harrington." 

You didn't care for her opinion or approval whatsoever. Yet still you glance up expectantly to gauge her response of your date choice. She cocks a disbelieving brow and to your surprise even manages a small smile. "Wow. The Harrington's are a great family," She meant they were a very wealthy and influential family. She could care less about what the people themselves were like. "Make sure you're home by eleven. And... Have fun, sweetie." 

Her tone at the end is strained, like it was something she felt she should say rather than something she actually wanted to say. You bite back the snarky remark you'd had just as a horn sounds from outside. 

"Thanks." Is what you settle for instead, electing to pick your arguments. You'd only just been freed after all.

Steve is leaning on the hood of his car as you get outside, a thick black coat covering your arms from the chill in the air. He was wearing a charming grin and greets you with a small peck to your cheek.

"Wow, you look incredible." He beams and you preen at the compliment. Obviously you did. But it was nice to hear it still.

Definitely beat being called a dog. Stop thinking about Eddie. You chide yourself. Already starting with that, huh? At least it was a hateful thought and not a nice one. Those were the worst.

Steve wore a pale blue button up covered with a navy blazer. His beige slacks were tied shut with a thick brown belt and a large watch ticked away on his wrist. His hair had been styled perfectly, nothing like the hat-crushed mess you'd seen at Scoops. He was groomed to perfection, and it was definitely working for him. And you. Admittedly.

He smelled great too as he got close, expensive aftershave drifting sweet scent into your nostrils. "Not so bad yourself." You politely offer a compliment in return, though it was definitely true. He opens the passenger door for you and waits until you're buckled in before closing it and heading to the drivers side. "Where are we going?"

"You'll see." He shoots you a wink that makes your smile extend further. His flirting was always fun, and he was handsome enough to enjoy being around too.

His planned date had him parking about a mile down the road from the restaurant he was taking you to since it was so busy. "Are you sure this is okay? It's a hell of a walk, sweetheart. I can drop you out front and then come back to park and make the walk myself?" His teeth worry his lower lip and you raise a comforting hand to his cheek, thumb gently tugging at the lip until it's released. "It's fine. Come on." You reassure him, unbuckling your belt and waiting as he gets out himself to come around and open the door for you. 

The walk itself wasn't even that bad if you were being honest. Inconvenient? Absolutely. Would your feet be hurting on the way back later? Undoubtedly. But the fresh air was refreshing for your soul. 

Enzo's was the nicest restaurant in town, which for a small town like Hawkins didn't boast much. But the company was nice and light and the food was edible, so you didn't mind it all that much. Steve was so easy to talk to and so sweet that you could talk to him for hours and not feel bored. He made you laugh and kept the conversations engaging and funny.