Valentine's Day

Wille pov:

"Wille." said a soft voice next to my ear. I pulled my blanket back over my head, not thinking about who the hell can come into my room. I always locked the door, actually.

After this realization and another, "Wille." I pulled my blanket away, startled, and sat up. Standing in front of my bed was a smiling Simon. "What the..." I wanted to ask. Outside it was still slightly dark but the sun had not yet risen.

It was winter, but still (even though we were in Sweden) it was quite warm compared to the years before. If you could call 4 to 10 degrees warm. Since I had not closed my window last night, a light winter breeze blew through my room. Goosebumps covered my body and I pulled the blanket back over my shoulders.

"Simon... Why are you here? It's easily two and a half hours until class." I said, watching him pull some clothes out of my closet. "Good morning to you too darling." Simon said laughing and I realized that I didn't understand this person, at least not right now.

"You forgot, didn't you?" he asked, looking at me like I had done something wrong. Simon's birthday? No, I wouldn't forget. My birthday? Nah. Our anniversary? No, I wouldn't forget that either. Valen... Fuck.

"Fuck." I said and looked at Simon who just smiled. "Simon I'm so sorry. I completely forgot." Tears of guilt gathered in my eyes and I was now standing in front of Simon, the fact that I had only shorts on completely forgotten.

"Put this on, or you'll get cold here and outside. And I don't want you to get the flu." said Simon, wiping away the tear on my right cheek with his thumb and kissing the one on my left away. "And it's all good. I know you've got a lot on your plate right now. I didn't expect it any other way. And I don't mean that in a bad way and I'm not mad either." he said and I felt a little less shitty and like the worst boyfriend in the world.

"How did I deserve you?" I asked, bringing a relatively genuine smile to my lips. "I don't know that yet either Wille. But I certainly don't deserve you." Simme said and I had to laugh. "Happy Valentine's Day." I said, giving him a kiss and putting on long clothes.

Forest Ridge was empty. Probably because everyone was still asleep. Only Simon and I were already sneaking out of the building through the corridors with our jackets and shoes on. When we had quietly closed the door so that no one would wake up, I took a deep breath of the cold winter morning air.

"Are you finally going to tell me what you're up to?" I asked Simon who kept pulling me behind him. "We're skipping class," Simon said, "even though I can't necessarily afford it." I suspected he didn't want me to hear that last part, but I did.

"If you have a good reason, I'll talk us out of it." I said. We walked past the stables, to the little hills behind it. Eventually Simme led me up one of those hills. It was a small hill with a big oak tree on it. When we had downtime (which was rare) we would sneak right up there. Because there we had our peace.

Slowly the sun appeared behind the woods. "Faster, or we'll miss it!" Simon shouted and ran off. I ran after him.

Arriving on the hill, I bent over to get my breath first. I was no longer on the rowing team, so I was minimally out of shape. Even though we still ran in sports sometimes. When I straightened up again, my mouth opened so wide that I was sure I had swallowed a fly.

In the tree hung a string of lights made of lanterns. In front of the tree was a picnic blanket with a plate on which were sandwiches wrapped in green serviettes. And the whole thing topped little daisies growing around the blanket. And on the blanket sat a little teddy hugging a heart.

I turned my gaze to Simon. He looked at me questioningly and said unsure: „Surprise?" and I just took him in my arms without hesitation. "Oh Simon... I don't even know... Thank you, Simme. Just thank you." I whispered into his shoulder.
"Sit down. I know you like sunrises that's why I took our hill. From here you can see everything perfectly." he said.

And so we did. We sat down side by side on the blanket, leaning against the tree. Our hands were clasped together and Simon played a song from our playlist that once again underscored the sunset. Frog from Cavetown.

I'm on the edge of a sunset....

I had to laugh at the coincidence, even if it was a sunrise.

Simon pov:

He liked it and a stone fell from my heart. I knew he would forget it was Valentine's Day that week and that he would be absolutely sorry. And that I would have to stop him getting something for me as a return.

When the sun was fully in the sky I looked at the clock and class had already started. I took the plate with the sandwiches that mom and I had made that morning before she had to go to work and handed it to Wille.

"Breakfast?" I asked happily since everything had worked out the way I wanted. "Thank you." Wille said and took a sandwich from his plate. We sat quietly and ate our food while the sun was slowly covered by clouds, but still shining brightly enough for us to sit in the middle of the sunlight.

I glanced briefly at Wille, who was sitting there with a big smile on his lips, on both hands, eyes closed. His brown-blond hair was shining in the sun and I tried to slow down the moment a bit. At least in my head.

I reached for Willes' hand. "What time did you do this?" asked Wille after a few more minutes of silence. "My mom's on the early shift. So she had driven me here this morning. I prepared this and then got you out of bed. Oh, and I made the sandwiches with my mom this morning," I explained and Wille grinned.

"But how did you get into my room? I always lock up at night." Wille said after another pause. "Remember a few weeks ago, when you pretended you lost your key, so you could get a new one, so I could have a key to Forest Ridge?" I asked laughing and Wille, also laughing, slapped a hand to his forehead.

" I am stupid." Wille said and I just nodded. "Thanks Simme. How can I repay you?" Wille thought aloud. "You can't. That you are here is enough." I said smiling and gave him a kiss. "I love you." I said smiling into the kiss. "Who doesn't?" Wille said laughing and he ruined the moment with that and I pulled back and let myself fall against the tree again, arms crossed.

Wille pulled my collar back and dropped his mouth back on mine. "I love you too, Simon." he said smiling and I smiled again too.

We stayed there until lunch time. We cleaned up everything and on the way to Wille's room to store the things there, we thought about what was a good excuse why we were not in class. We sat up: we had overslept.

When we entered the dining room only the first and second graders were there. On Fridays, the third graders always had sports while lunchtime. I was happy about that.

"Simon, Wille!" called Henry. Of course. "Where have you been all day today?" he asked. Of course. I looked at Wille for a moment and he at me. "We overslept." I finally said. Wille just nodded in agreement. "I see." replied Valter.

No one asked further.

Wille pov:

While we were eating, Henry kicked me under the table. Before I could say anything, he nodded at his cell phone and at mine, which was lying next to my plate. I took it and stifled a laugh.

Henry:
I know you guys were at the hills.
I saw you during the break between first and second period.
Wille:
It's always you, isn't it?😂

I showed Simon the message and he suddenly had to laugh. All looked at him confused and then took care of their Buissnes again. Simon and I looked at Henry who just shrugged his shoulders.
"It's always him isn't it?" whispered Simme in my ear. "Yep." I said laughing. It was always Henry. Always.
______________________

Love me like you do - Ellie Goulding