Chapter 31: Forrest Gump

Angel could count on one hand the times he had seen Matvei so discombobulated. All three times pertained to his mother and made him more angry than disheartened. It was so obvious his head wasn't in the game and it was painful. The fact that he wasn't present was startling, because he was always present and ready for his homes. But this home specifically should've had him firing on all cylinders. 

Matvei wanted Alyssa's home to be perfect, more so now than ever since they were officially together. The money pit was finally shaping up to be something worth bragging about and Angel knew Alyssa would love it. She'd love all the hard work and details put into her home and Angel appreciated that. What he didn't appreciate was his best friend spacing out for the umpteenth time in the past couple of weeks.

He knew things were great between him and Alyssa thanks to the stupid and freakish smile Matvei sported every time he received a text or call from her. The mention of her name from one of the guys had his boy sighing happily albeit quietly like the evolved simp that he was.

Angel knew this wasn't an Alyssa issue. No, this had everything to do with Mikhail. Angel was sure of it beforehand but after speaking with Vlad about what went down between the two brothers, his theory was confirmed. This was never good - for either business and it showed every time. When Matvei didn't have his head in the game things got bad or sometimes deadly.

"You good?" Angel asked Matvei worriedly. "W-What?" Matvei asked, dazed. "I asked if you were good." Matvei nodded his head. "Yeah. I'm fine." Angel sucked his teeth. "So, that's why you are attempting to use a screwdriver as a hammer?" Matvei looked at his hands and sighed loudly. 

"I'm so mad I missed dinner. Shit always happens when I'm not there. Ah well, it's probably for the best. I would've shot Julia and we both know Alyssa can't know the whole truth about our lives." Matvei grunted in agreement.

"I don't know much." Angel began causing Matvei snort. "Ain't that the truth." Angel glared at him. "I do know Mikhail left in a huff and hurry because of you. You're wrong in this, friend and if you keep pushing you're going to add one more family member to the list of ones that you don't speak to." 

Matvei stared at his friend that mostly angered him and sighed. "Just talk to him, idiot. How would you like it if you were kept away from your birthright? Apologize for being a controlling bastard and let him do what he was born to do." Matvei shook his head no angrily. 

"Why can't anyone see my side? Why is everyone against me on this?" Angel sucked his teeth once more as he handed him a hammer. "Because you're wrong and deep down you know it. This means something to you, sure, but it's Mikhail's life and his desire to want to help the family shouldn't be punished or met with ridicule."

"I'm not wrong and I'm not ridiculing him, but whatever." Matvei grumbled. "I'm done trying to make you assholes see reason." Angel rolled his eyes. "Are you going to be able to handle things here and on those two houses in Midtown while I'm in San Antonio for the weekend? It's a lot to ask, but this gig is important to my uncles."

Angel nodded his head. "You know I've got this. Do try not to kill each other while you're out though. Actually, I don't care if there's an attempt. My money is on Mikhail." Matvei glared at Angel. "I know that fool has years of pent up rage and is ready to dole out a can of whoop ass on you."

Matvei rolled his eyes at his friend and scoffed. He moved to say something when he felt him. He could tell by the way his men stood straighter that his Uncle Misha was present. There was something about him that was dominant and demanding. He made the most stalwart of men almost bow in reverence. 

"You men can call it for the night. I need to get my hands dirty with my nephew." The men nodded at the double entendre before heading out. "You don't have to tell me twice!" Angel beamed. "Matvei, I'm off to get my dick wet. Make up with your brother or get beat up by your brother. The choice is yours!"