Chapter 43: A Beautiful Mind

Alyssa was exhausted. There were two days left to the New Year and everyone was helping her move into her newly renovated home. She couldn't believe it was the same death trap she moved into months ago.

Matvei had worked his magic and transformed every room, nook and cranny into a space she was proud of and loved. The spaces looked bigger and warmer than before. Everything was new and state of the art. She knew she could never afford all that was done. They both reminded her that the upgrades were gifts.

"Be careful with those." Alyssa told Vlad as he brought in a box of dishes. "You got it, boss." Alyssa chuckled at him before looking around the kitchen. "Alyssa, what the hell is this?" Alyssa turned to find Angel holding a black box with a combination lock on it.

"Give me that!" Alyssa snapped before forcing a smile. "Sorry, it's personal." Angel gave her a look but nodded his head. "Sex toys, huh?" Alyssa snorted and shook her head. He watched her put it under the kitchen sink before walking off to help the others.

Alyssa leaned back on the sink and sighed. The days leading up to the move were different. She couldn't help but replay Eric's words in her head. She knew she was being distant from the guys but she couldn't help it. She needed answers.

She was meeting with Jean-Louis tomorrow afternoon and she couldn't wait. She wanted answers. He wouldn't text her anything other than the time and place of their meeting. He chose a dive bar outside of town and she hoped she wasn't making a mistake.

"You okay, bestie?" Winter asked as she set down a box of candles. Alyssa nodded her head. "Just tired." Winter hummed a response. "We're almost done. You took care of your closet for the most part, but I think Mikhail found something. I'm going to soak in the hot tub."

Alyssa nodded her head before turning to the footsteps coming into the kitchen. "Babe, this looks a little...deranged." Alyssa grabbed the stuffed animal from Mikhail's hands. "He's been through a lot, but he's still special." Mikhail smiled at her noting the way she held onto the dilapidated teddy bear.

"Did you get that from the orphanage?" Alyssa looked from the stuffed animal into blue eyes. "Something like that." Mikhail nodded his head. "Well, we're done, babe. Everything is moved in and the show house has been returned to its former glory."

Alyssa placed the teddy under the sink before smiling widely at him. "I'm glad, my love. I'm ready to get everything set up and living in my own space." He nodded his head before kissing her lips.

There it was again. Hesitancy. "Lyssa, are we okay?" She looked into his eyes willing to ignore Eric's words but couldn't. "Are we? Is there anything going on? Anything you want to tell me?" Alyssa wanted to give him one more chance to be honest. As she saw the real fear flash in his eyes, she sighed internally. They were lying.

"We're good, Lys. Why? Did something happen?" She looked at him deeply before shaking her head no. "I guess if you say we're good then we're good." She moved from his arms but he pulled her back. "Let's do lunch tomorrow since you're so tired today."

Alyssa shook her head no. "I'm meeting with an acquaintance tomorrow for lunch. Raincheck?" Mikhail wanted to ask her who she was meeting with but something in her stare told him to leave it.

"We're done, bitch!" Konstantin exclaimed as he dropped a box at the doorway. Alyssa smiled at him before clapping. The rest of the gang walked into the kitchen. "Thank y'all so much for helping me move back in. You didn't have to unpack most of it, but you did and I appreciate it."

"We're fam, Alyssa. That's what we do." Arseny said with a genuine smile. She hated that she doubted his words and whether he was in on whatever lie Matvei and Mikhail were hiding.