Chapter 58: She Came to Me

Alyssa sat across from David in the opulent grandeur of his French-inspired home. While the lavish surroundings were a tad extravagant for her taste, there was an undeniable sense of warmth that permeated the space, transforming it into a place of comfort. It felt like a home, and amidst the ornate decor, that was what truly mattered to her.

The air between them hung heavy with a contemplative silence, not awkward but pregnant with unspoken exchanges. Each took measure of the other, their gazes quietly probing and absorbing. Alyssa was attuned to vibes and detected no lecherous undertones in David's demeanor. Yet, she couldn't ignore his lingering gaze on her face and features, a scrutiny that felt oddly familiar.

It dawned on her that David seemed to be cataloging her features, much like she had done countless times to Matvei and Mikhail. His eyes, though not intrusive, held a hint of recognition, a silent acknowledgment of the uncanny resemblance she had to her late sister. The unspoken acknowledgment hovered between them.

Their initial meeting had been laced with a subtle awkwardness. Alyssa remembered the flash of surprise and more on David's face when he opened the door as if he had seen a ghost from the past. A ghost he deeply loved. It was in that moment that Alyssa was reminded of her late sister and that fact hung in the air, casting a poignant shadow over their interaction.

The silence in the room initially welcomed, began to wear on Alyssa's patience. She had come there for answers, and she refused to leave without unearthing every detail needed to make further sense of her family and herself. 

"I want to know everything." David's gaze left her lips and met her eyes. He smiled at her. She was so much like her. So much like his Erica. There eyes were the same magnetic brown that just made you want to drown. Their noses were actual buttons that he missed booping like so many nights before. However, the feature that looked the most identical between the sisters were their lips. 

David didn't want to be a creep. He didn't. But he couldn't deny how much Alyssa looked like Erica. He found himself getting lost in the moments they sat there until his eyes were brought back to focus and her striking gray hair signaled the alarms in his brain. Alyssa Jacobs was not Erica Laurent. Erica Laurent was dead. And she was never coming back to him.

"What do you want to know?" David finally spoke up. "I know about you and my sister. Your love story. Eric gave me a very dramatic breakdown." David chuckled at that and Alyssa loved the sound. It was warm and sounded like something he didn't do often but needed to.

"Your sister was unlike any other woman I have ever met. She is the love of my life." Alyssa wanted to correct him, but she realized he hadn't made a mistake. Even in death, her older sister is the love of his life. 

"Eric said you wanted to see me. Why?" David smiled at her once more. "You're so much like her." He said before getting up. "Would you like a drink?" She shook her head no. "Don't get me wrong, you two definitely have your differences." Alyssa was curious about that comment. 

"For starters, you smile more than she did. Erica was mean. Happily so. She didn't take shit from anyone and it was always apparent in the way she looked at you. Her eyes were always discerning." He chuckled thinking on a memory. "I was able to amass a lot of the money I have now from deals she oversaw and handled."

Alyssa was surprised. She knew her sister was married to a mafia leader, but she didn't expect her to be one herself. "Erica had this ability to cut through the false pleasantries you see in this world and navigate the insincerity with ease. She talked the talk, walked the walk and dressed the part." 

Alyssa mimicked his blissful smile. "Your sister would stride into a room with a strength and poise that demanded respect. Everything she did or said was purposeful. If she smirked, it meant something. Raised an eyebrow, someone's dying." David laughed at Alyssa's expression.