22: Heavy Heart

Oceans - Seafret

❝We hide our emotions under the surface and try to pretend❞

┌────── ☾ ⋅☆⋅ ☽ ──────┐
HEAVY HEART
└────── ☾ ⋅☆⋅ ☽ ──────┘

LUNA
TUESDAY, OCTOBER 31

Steve nods his head and bumps arms with me as we dance in the middle of Tina's crowded living room. I'm slowly beginning to loosen up, but I have to admit that it's weird to be at a party without a red solo cup in my hand.

Steve and I are dressed as Han Solo and Princess Leia from Star wars. I have on a white skirt, a white long sleeved shirt, and white boots. My hair is pulled up into two buns on either side of my head with a few pieces pulled out to frame my face, and my makeup is a little more dramatic than usual with sharp eyeliner and red lipstick. Steve has on a white button up, with the first few buttons undone to show off his toned chest, a black vest, and black pants with a harness strapped to his right thigh.

I proposed the idea of gender swapping our costumes, but Steve shut that idea down straight away. It's too bad that he cares about other people's opinions because I would've liked to see him in a skirt.

Steve shuffles closer to me so he doesn't have to shout over the music. "I'm proud of you, you know."

"What? Why?" I ask with a smile.

"For being here. I'm proud of you."

Without knowing how to respond, I simply smile and lean in to place a soft kiss his cheek. Pulling back, I see that I've left a red lipstick stain on his flushed skin.

"We've got ourselves a new Keg King, Harrington," A new voice says that immediately wipes the smile from my face.

Tommy stands behind Billy Hargrove as his new henchman, patting his back with a smug smile as Billy puffs his chest and gives me a sly wink.

"Yeah! Eat it, Harrington!" Another boy eggs him on.

I roll my eyes and pat Steve's chest before walking away, not wanting to deal with all of that tonight. I eventually find Jonathan standing in the kitchen and make my way towards him.

"Hey, Jonny," I greet.

"Hey," Jonathan glances at me with a half smile before looking back into the crowd of dancing teenagers.

I follow his line of sight to see Nancy dancing by herself, drinking from a red solo cup. There's nothing wrong with her letting loose and having fun, but just earlier today she was on the brink of a breakdown and now she's drinking more than she ever has. "Is she okay?"