30: Everybody Has a Job

Roll The Bones - Shakey Graves

❝Yeah struggle all you like

Put up the good fight❞

┌────── ☾ ⋅☆⋅ ☽ ──────┐EVERYBODY HAS A JOB└────── ☾ ⋅☆⋅ ☽ ──────┘

EVERYBODY HAS A JOB
└────── ☾ ⋅☆⋅ ☽ ──────┘

LUNA
SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 4

The stiffness in my neck starts to get to me as I roll my head back and to the side, sighing when I hear a satisfying click. I purposefully ignore the small window in front of me as I continue running my hands under the cold water of the kitchen faucet. I haven't used my abilities in a while, hence why it is taking me so long to cool my hands down.

Hearing footsteps to my right, I turn the faucet off and turn to see who joined me, only to see a small redhead holding out a small towel for me.

"Thanks," I take the towel wipe my hands dry. Glancing up, I see Max nod back with an awkward smile. Her eyebrows are slightly turned down. "You good?"

"Yeah, it's just... your sister hates me."

"She's not my sister," I respond swiftly without even trying to, pausing for a moment before dabbing some blood from below my nose. Seeing Max's face drop in embarrassment, I add, "She's been through some shit. Doesn't trust easily, that kind of thing. It's not your fault."

"Oh," she shifts on her feet while I toss the towel on the counter before crossing my arms and leaning my back on the counter. "So... you have superpowers too."

Happy with the subject change, I nod. "I bet they're pretty lame compared to what you were expecting, huh?"

"Lame?" Max's eyes go wide as saucers and a small smile pokes into her lips. "Did we just see the same thing? Because that was some of the coolest shit I've ever seen! Your hands were glowing, Luna."

A small laugh comes in the form of air out my nose before I wrap my arm around the smaller girl. Hearing the others begin to gather in the dining room next to us, I lead us both to stand next to Joyce who sits at the head of the table with her knuckles over her mouth.

After glancing between Mike, who refuses to meet my eyes, and my dad, I sigh and remove my arm from Max, opting to cross them in front of my chest. "So, what's the plan? How do we close the gate."

My dad sighs. "Well, it's not like it was before. It's grown. A lot. And, I mean, that's considering we can get in there. That place is crawling with those dogs."