Thirty One

Jay's POV

I smile kindly at Rainey's family who stares at me in awe, I eat the perfect steak and sigh in joy. "You make a good steak, Mrs. Ellison." I speak softly, not wanting to scare them.

"Call me Quinn, please." She squeals, blushing as she makes the sound. I giggle quietly, taking a small bite of the peas.

"Oh my! I didn't even ask; do you eat vegetables? If you don't, you really don't need to eat them!" She gasps so quickly I couldn't even interrupt her if I wanted to.

"Quinn, I do. Don't worry, I can eat anything. No allergies, not even chocolate." I wink at Rainey, as she had seen the amounts of chocolate I had at the house.

"Really?" She leans forward, fascinated about me. I blush, looking down at my lap from all of the attention all while Echo continues to snarl about how we need to get back to our mate.

"Yes, really. So, do any of you have any questions that I can answer?" I smile warmly, taking, a bite out of the juicy steak.

"Well-" Mr. Ellison begins but is cut off as Echo pushes her way forward and launches to her feet. But Rainey and I knew this might happen, and we talked to Rainey's older brother. Within seconds, Echo is tackled to the ground as she snarls and writhes on the floor.

"Echo, stop. Think, you two should be mad at Asher for what he said to you. For how he has repaid you for your gift of being a wolf like you. You gave him the means to feel the matebond to the fullest potential, and he treats humans like trash. That some human lives are unimportant." Rainey tries to soothe, Echo snarls and whips her head towards Rainey.

"You don't know anything, Rainey! I have seen way too many things, talked to the Moon Goddess, and I know that Asher will go Rogue without me. You need to let me go." Echo snarls as I struggle to take back control.

Echo grits her teeth, not used to being in control but her anger was the only thing that fueled her to stay in complete control. I push against her will, demanding to be in control again.

Slowly, agonizingly, we somehow end up in co-control. "Jaiyana, you need to listen to me! Asher will go Rogue without us, and you know this." Echo sighed, more sad than angry now.

"And what he did ruined me! I gave our human mate the choice to be a wolf and he took it, but now he thinks he's better than everyone else and that it means that our job as Luna doesn't mean anything!" I exclaim, tears crawling out of our eyes for different reasons.

Mine was hurt, disappointment. He should have given humans the respect they deserved, and me as well. He disrespected me, not only as his mate, but as his equal. He undermined my power, making me look weak in front of our Pack and countless others.

Hers were anger and desperation. She wanted to protect our mate just as much as I did, but right now, I could care less. But she was sad because she knew how I felt, how what he did and how he acted made me rethink who he was as a person and as my mate.

"I know, Jaiyana. But our Pack is what matters right now. At least go and talk to him." She begs, I pause and retreat slightly as I think. Unable to decide, I sigh and take back control.

"I'll think about it Echo, just give me time, it's barely been a day." I sigh, shoving her in the deepest, darkest corners of my mind. Realizing I was sitting on my knees, staring at the wall ahead of me I shake my head to clear it.

"I am very sorry for Echo's outburst. She's angry that I won't talk to my mate or give him a chance to explain that he's let three human parents stay in the hands of a murderer and a traitor. I... I think I'm just going to lie down now if you don't mind me staying here still? If you think I'm a danger to you and your family, I can leave!" I quickly reassure them but grow tired the longer I stand in their presence.

"No, no. Of course, go ahead and take a nap sweetie. Do you need anything? Medicine?" Quinn wrung her hands, bowing her head in slight fear when I turn to look at her. I bow my own, giving her the upmost respect as I mourn over what could have been between us.

"No but thank you Mrs. Quinn Ellison. I'll see you in the morning." I murmur, bowing once again very lowly and walking back up the stairs. Let them finish their dinner, and I'll come back down to do the dishes once everyone has gone to sleep.

Dragging myself over to the mattress on the floor, I collapse onto the soft cloud of comfort and cry.

Cry over my mate. Cry over my wolf. Cry over how fearful Quinn was of me. Cry over my shame.

Shame for being weak in front of my Pack and others as well. For letting my emotions get the better of me. For causing fear in this family for wolves. For being me. Shame on me.

I don't know when or how I fell asleep, but I only wake as Rainey, instead of crawling into her own bed, she lays next to me. I peek a tired eye open, watching as her day's stresses leave her quickly untensing body.

"What are you doing?" I mumble, my voice hoarse from my crying.

"Riding a horse!" She replies sarcastically, hair wet and her skin clean from what appears to be a shower. "I remember you saying you don't like sleeping alone. So, I'm sleeping next to you tonight." She yawns tiredly, sweeping her beautiful auburn hair away from her face.

Subconsciously leaning into my shoulder, she quickly falls asleep. I smile, letting her thoughtfulness and warmth against me help me fall asleep.