The devil's due

I stand in the middle of Knock-out's clinic, Breakdown is laying down on the medical berth, he's in stasis and Knock-out is working on fixing him.

He's stable now, Knock-out's already got the energon pump working properly again, patched up the valves and is currently rewiring. After that he'll need to stress test the T-cog and make sure Breakdown's limbs haven't suffered structural damage. His vitals are fine, just finishing touches really.

I turn my head away from them and back to the countertop that Laserbeak's on, a life support system currently hooked up to him. I can't say I like seeing him like this, broken, unresponsive, vitals at 23%.

That's the part I'm struggling with, 23%, he was at 88% before he went missing, what in the name of Primus did those butchers do to him?

I walk towards the counter, I rest a hand upon Laserbeak's back, I try to sense him through the sparkbond.

It takes a few moments longer than it should, but I can sense his spark, it's faint, he's barely hanging on.

"Laserbeak" I try to speak via the bond, "Are you there?"

I can feel his spark trying to respond, but I doubt it's an active effort, just a knee jerk reaction, for lack of a better term.

I look over to Knock-out, how long will he take? I get that he cares for Breakdown and that, over all, from a purely tactical point of view, Breakdown is more important than Laserbeak but Breakdown's stable. Can he not spare even a minute for Laserbeak?

I sigh, No, I can't blame him for focusing on Breakdown, I'd do the same for Laserbeak.

My thoughts are put to an end when I hear the door slide open, I turn my head, half expecting Megatron to be there but instead I see Starscream standing there, arms held behind his back.

"Soundwave" He speaks, sounding rather more prideful than I'd expect, "May I speak to you?"

I suppose standing around here won't help anything, and asides, I owe it to him to at least listen to whatever he's going to say. I nod and start to walk towards the door.

"Good, this will be but a moment" He adds as I reach the door, which slides closed as I pass, leaving us both in the hallway. I don't like his tone, prideful and self assured, never good to hear Starscream like that.

"Now, I'm sure you remember our last interaction"

I should've guessed that this would be about that.

"And I'm also sure you remember that the hallways have cameras?"

Footage that isn't actively monitored or reviewed by anyone, only the energon vault and the hall right outside of Megatron's personal quarters are. Which he knows, where is he going with this?

"Well, I went and saved a recording of that incident, which I downloaded onto a drive and hid"

I . . . did not account for him doing that, this is bad.

"Now, as I'm sure you know, I'm meant to share anything suspicious with Lord Megatron"

He grins widely as he says that, I really hope this is a threat and not something he's already done.

"But I don't have to" He continues.

He doesn't?

"And in exchange for not doing that, I'd want only one thing"

What could I give him? Access to information that's being denied to him or something?

"You see, I'm not sure if you know this"

I bet I do, "But I've been . . . hiding my own stash of energon and energon mining equipment, for a rainy day"

Yeah, I knew that, I've been meaning to report it but I've been caught up with Laserbeak going missing so I hadn't got the chance.

"I want you to help me cover my tracks, as well as help me get more"

He wants me to help him steal from the Decepticons? I have my problems with Megatron, but this will hurt the Vehicons more than anyone.

. . .

. . .

Fine, I don't really have a choice.

I nod.

"Good, now, I'll be off" He turns to leave, "Oh, and give Laserbeak my regards" He adds with a chuckle.

I clench my fists, an indescribable anger filling me, I'm being blackmailed into betraying the group I've given everything to.

I sigh and unclench my fist.

I better go check on Laserbeak