Yes I did.

We'd been in the truck for a matter of minutes before an unknown number began to ring my phone, I stared at it with my heart racing in my chest with endless possibilities of who could be calling me. Ronan had noticed the trouble I was experiencing and before I knew it he'd slowed down the truck, pulling the phone from my shaking hands. He answered it with no hesitation, eyebrows knitted together as if he were furious someone had dared to call my phone. "Hello?" He spoke dangerously low, almost as if it were a silent threat to whoever was on the phone. I heard a small mumble from the other end and before I knew it Ronan was breaking into a smile. "Yeah give me a second."

He looked at me, a twinkle in his eye. "It's for you." He told me. I frowned in response, not really sure what was happening. One second he'd looked murderous and now he looked as if he were a child being offered candy.

"Who is it?" He shrugged his shoulders, holding the phone out to me.

"Find out."

Hesitantly I took the phone from him, eyeing him oddly as he grinned like a Cheshire Cat. "Hello?" I murmured into the phone, eyes still glued to Ronan who watched on expectantly. Someone coughed in response, a pained sound and now I was even more confused.

"Hello? Is that all I get?" The voice sounded familiar yet it was contorted with pain, a grimace finishing his sentence. "Fucking hell Ava I nearly die and all I get is a hello, I was expecting at least some ki-"

"Oh my god."I breathed, tears of relief filling my eyes as I finally recognised who was on the other side. "Cain."

He chuckled, before spluttering and cough along with a colourful choice of words. "Yeah." He groaned before coughing again. "It's me." I smiled at Ronan, his hand finding my free one that was balanced against my knee and squeezing it affectionately.

"I'm so glad you're okay." My voice shook slightly, overcome with so much relief that I was struggling to fight back the tears burning my eyes.  I couldn't explain how happy I was to hear this voice, how much I needed to hear it right now. I wish that he'd been transported a little closer so I could see him now he was feeling better.

"Me too." He chuckled before cursing lowly. "It fucking hurts to laugh so let's try not to do that." I snickered quietly, not wanting to make him laugh even though a tiny nagging feeling had formed, guilt starting to seep in. "I've heard about your stupidity by the way?"

I was taken back, my mouth opening and closing barely making any noise in response to him. He made a disappointed noise in the back of his throat. "I'm here because of Ace not you. You've saved my life before and I'd like to think this time I saved yours so for the love of everything holy please don't ever try and do anything ridiculous like hand yourself over to the rebels." I hesitantly glanced at Ronan, his hand on my knee had tensed and I looked up at his grim expression knowing full well he'd heard what Cain had said.

"I won't." I promised for the second time today. "Let's not talk about that now anyway, how are you feeling?"

Cain snorted, cursing for what felt like the tenth time. "Fuck this hurts." He laughed again before groaning. "Fuck I wish I wasn't so naturally funny, this would be so much easier."

"Did they knock your head? You're not funny Cain." I tried to joke, hoping the sudden dampener on my mood would disappear. It was as soon as I'd heard the name rebels, it made me question everything that could possibly come what could possibly happen and honestly I was terrified.

Cain laughed between grunts of pain. "Now that was a good joke Ava, you've gained a sense of humour since I've been away." I laughed, feeling a little guilty that he was now complaining of more pain. "Listen I gotta get the nurse in here, need some more of that morphine shit but I'll be in touch."