Chapter 5- Star

Gage smiles as he walks toward me, his body soaked from jumping in the lake. A mischievous grin covers his face. I back away so as not to get wet, but he grabs me, wrapping his strong arms around my waist, making me break out into laughter. I hear Laura laugh, as Ace has done the same to her. She smiles and finally manages to get away after he whispers in her ear. She approaches me and tells me not to wait for her. Ace grabs her hand and leads her to his car, leaving Gage and me to ourselves in the midst of everyone drinking and dancing. Worry crosses my face, and it seems as though Gage can see that.

"Don't worry, she will be okay. Ace is a good guy." He tries to assure me. I nod but can't help but think of the glow of their eyes. I don't trust them, and yet here I am with my heart beating faster every time he smiles at me.

"I think it's time for me to go. Thanks for tonight. I really needed this." I kiss his cheek and start walking away. I don't know where I'm going, but all I know is that I need to leave. Gage runs up behind me, yelling that he will drive me home. I reluctantly agree with the premise that I have no idea where I am.

After climbing into the truck, I rest my head on the window. I look at the time, and it's a quarter past one. Silence fills the truck, and I finally decide to break the ice. "What are your plans for the rest of the summer? It's only two months, but it goes by very fast." I ask

"Not sure," he says as he keeps his eyes on the road. Well, that was very informative.

We finally arrive at my house, and he walks me to the door. "Thanks for tonight; it was fun," I tell him. "I hope to do it again sometime," he smiles. "Goodnight, Gage," I say as I watch the summer breeze whisk through his hair.

"Night, Star." I unlock the door and head inside. Closing the door behind me, I lean against it and smile. I think of his lips and how they felt against mine earlier tonight. The memory sends shivers down my spine as I make my way to my bedroom, already looking forward to the next time we meet.

I slip out of my swimsuit and throw on an oversized t-shirt. I pull back the covers on my bed and turn on the TV. A knock at the door stops me from crawling into my nice, warm bed that's calling my name.

Who the hell would be knocking at this time of night?

I take a look through the peephole and see Gage standing there. I open the door, and he looks me up and down. A smile crosses his face, and I realise I'm just in a t-shirt. "Hi," I say.

"Hey, sorry to bother you," he says, running his hand through his hair, "but, um, it seems like Ace and Laura are busy, I guess, and I don't feel comfortable being in the house." He lets out a little laugh.

"Come on in," I say, opening the door wider for him, "you're more than welcome to stay here." He thanks me and walks inside. I close the door as he sits on the couch. "I'll grab you a blanket and pillow."

"Thank you," he says, and I give him a little smile. I head to my room and search my closet for a blanket and an extra pillow. I see a red blanket and pillow sitting at the bottom of my closet. I grab them and head back out to the living room. I hand Gage the items and bid him goodnight. I close the door to my bedroom and lay back in bed. I flip through the channels and come across one of my favourite horror movies. I decide that I need a snack to go along with my middle of the night screening. I quietly get up, hoping not to disturb Gage as I make my way to the kitchen. I see a light glowing in the dark and see him on his phone, watching the same movie I am. I walk toward him and lean against the wall.

"Hey," I quietly say. He puts his phone down and turns his head toward me. "Hey." I bite my lower lip and finally take the plunge and ask. "I'm watching the same movie; want to watch it together?"