Chapter 20- Star

As I cruise down the road, I'm reminded that I came to this place to start anew. My spontaneous self decides I need a change. I head into the mall parking lot and head inside, walking straight to the hair salon. Leaving me with shoulder length hair with layers. I look like a whole new person. I feel a sense of liberation and confidence as I walk out of the salon, feeling lighter and refreshed.

Get back to my car and sit down. I look at the time, and I've been gone for hours. As I go to put my phone away, it rings. Gage's name pops up, and I hit decline. I don't want to deal with him right now. Instead, I turn on some music and take a deep breath, enjoying the feeling of my new haircut.

I look in the rearview mirror and realise that here I am once again, torn into pieces because of some guy. I won't deny or pretend that the thought of him being the one didn't cross my mind. I opened up to him, told him everything, and he made me feel alright for once in my life. All that's left of me is what I show the world—so put together but so broken up inside.

I know I shouldn't be loving him, and I shouldn't want to spend all my time with him. Everything about him is wrong—his bad reputation, his lies, and his midnight outings. But he is the right kind of wrong. No one has ever made me feel the way I do when his arms are wrapped around me. So I question myself.

Is the pleasure worth all the pain?

I know deep down that I should walk away, but his touch is addictive, and I can't resist the temptation. It's a constant battle between my heart and my mind.

I start the engine and head home. As I pull into the driveway, I hear music coming from the guys' house. I get out of my car and lean against it. I watch as girls swoon all over Gage. I can't help but feel a twinge of jealousy as I watch Gage effortlessly attract all the attention. His eyes are set on mine, and my phone rings, breaking my gaze from him. Levi's name comes up, and I decide to entertain the idea of answering. As I answer the phone, I feel Gage's eyes linger on me from a distance.

"Hello?" I say as I lean back against my car.

"What the fuck, Star?" He yells, and I look into the sky, rolling my eyes.

"What?" I say as Gage's eyes narrow in my direction when I turn my head to look at everyone having fun.

"I'm sorry, baby. Can we talk about everything that has happened? I want you back." He pleads with me.

I start to laugh and ask, "Are you crazy? You're delusional, right? Have you been drinking?" I question him. I look up to see Gage nudge Keenan and look my way. I turn around and face the road as I wait for Levi's answers.

"No, I mean it, Star. You and I were good together."

"When? When you were sleeping with every other girl? That's sweet that you thought of me while hitting it with other chicks." I state.

"Seriously, Star? I'm not that stupid kid anymore." He says, anger filling his voice, and I can tell he wants to cuss me out for not listening to his words.

"Yeah, and I'm not that naive girl anymore-" Before I can continue to say what I wanted to say, my phone is ripped out of my hands. I turn to see Keenan.

"Dude, back off. The girl wants nothing to do with you, so stop calling her." He says to Levi.

He begins to laugh. "I'd love to see you try." Then his voice changes, becoming more serious. "Come near her again, and you will regret it." Keenan pauses to hear what Levi says and erupts into laughter. "Nah, man. It's not a threat; it's a promise. Call her or come near her again, and you're a dead man."