Chapter 49- Gage

I see the tears fill her eyes as I lie to her. My stomach sinks, and I know I'm doing this to protect her. I wish I could explain what and who I am without ever fearing for her life, but I can't.

"Gage! What the hell is going on?" She shouts. I turn to face her and cup her face in my hands.

"I love you, Star. Remember that." I kiss her, and I feel her tremble. I slowly pull away and walk out. I get in my truck and pull out, with Ace following behind. I look out my window as I drive by her, and sadness covers her face.

"Fuck!" I shout as I hit the steering wheel as I drive.

I drive fast, speeding through every red light, until I get to the campus tunnels. I park my truck and step out; Ace pulls up, and we head in together. We make our way down the dark stairwell and into the tunnels. The adrenaline rush from the reckless driving fades away as I enter the tunnels, and a sense of calm takes over. The damp air and dim lighting create an eerie atmosphere that makes me feel alive. I open the metal door at the end of the path and see the Elders sitting around the table. I take a seat and look over at Levi, who is still chained up and smells disgusting.

"What happened today was a tragedy." One of the elders, Eli, speaks.

"Yeah, tragedy, my ass." I spew.

"I say we go after them." Keenan says as he walks in with the rest of the pack. I nod in agreement.

"We don't want a war between the Lakewood pack and us," Eli states.

"They started it when they slaughtered dozens of people tonight." I bark. "I don't care what everyone else wants to do, but I'm taking Zion down." I warn.

"Gage, this is not how an Alpha acts." Eli says to me

"What? Protecting my own. Protecting my territory." I stand up and ask, "Or protecting the innocent? Everything I do is based on this fucking pack. I do what I need to do to make sure we survive." I shout.

"Gage, calm down." I turn to see the man I hate walk in.

"Well, well, if it isn't the town sheriff." I clench my jaw. He shakes his head and looks at the elders. "We have set into motion a town curfew. Anyone under twenty-five needs to be inside by nine p.m." He says.

"Fuck that shit," I say.

"Boy, don't you dare talk to me like that," he grits his teeth.

"What are you going to do? Shot a silver bullet into my chest?" I get closer to him.

"I'm still your father; you show me respect." He says.

"You stopped being my father when you left me and mom to fend for ourselves to go live a human life." I step closer, "You stepped down as Alpha, making me clean up your shit, so fuck you." I growl. Ace grabs my shoulders and says, "Breathe, dude." I shake him off and step back.

"Someone has daddy issues," I hear the course voice coming from the corner,

"Gage, don't," my pack shouts. I turn around, and my fist hits Levi's jaw, knocking him back to the ground.

I lean against the wall and listen to what everyone has to say. The full moon is tomorrow night, and they want us to stay inside. Give things time to calm down, and they finally agree with me on attacking them. But that was too easy. The elders always have an agenda, and I will figure it out. The meeting is dismissed, and everyone walks out. I head to my truck, and my father stands there.

"Son, can we talk?"

"There's nothing to talk about, old man." I walk past him, but he places his hand on my shoulder and whispers. "Protect Star at all costs." I turn my head to face him.