Chapter 51- Star

The moon shines brightly, and as I slowly wake, I hear the shower turn off. The cool breeze fills the room from my open window. Gage walks out in just a towel and smiles as he walks toward me. I get up and face him. "I love you, Star." His hand runs up my back as I feel his breath on my skin. I look up at him, our eyes locking in a passionate gaze. "I love you too," I whisper, before our lips meet in a fiery kiss. Howls in the distance pull us apart, and I look at him. His eyes shimmer with an amber colour. "What are you?" I say stumbling backwards. "Think about it." He growls. His hand grips my neck and hear fills me.

My eyes widen, and I gasp for air as I wake to the sun shining brightly into my room. I run my hands through my hair. It was just a nightmare. I take a deep breath and try to shake off the feeling of fear that still lingers. I remind myself that it was just a figment of my imagination and that I am safe in my own bed. As I get out of bed, I remind myself that it was just a dream and nothing more.

I stand by the window and look at the freshly fallen snow. The sight of the snow brings a sense of calmness and tranquillity to my mind, making me forget about the nightmare. I decide to make myself a cup of hot coffee and enjoy the winter wonderland from my window.

I head to the kitchen and start the kettle. As the water boils, I grab my favourite mug and choose a flavour of coffee that will complement the peaceful atmosphere outside. I take a deep breath and feel the warmth of the mug in my hands, letting the aroma of the coffee fill my senses. I then settle into a comfortable chair by the window, sipping my coffee and admiring the serene beauty of the snow-covered landscape.

I grab a book and begin to read. But thoughts of Gage keep clouding my mind. I look out the window and watch the snow slowly blow around. Last night's conversation that I overheard runs through my mind, and I try to process what is happening. The way they spoke scares me. Do werewolves actually exist? And if they do, is that what the school has been hiding all these years? I can't help but wonder if I should tell someone about what I heard, but who would believe me? I have so many questions, and yet no one wants to give me answers; all they do is lie.

And my final question is: if werewolves do exist, what does that have to do with me?

Gage catches my attention, and I see him walk toward his truck. I try hard not to allow my tears to fall, but I can't help it. As much as breaking up with him is the best thing for me, that doesn't mean I don't miss him like crazy. I sit there and think of formal. One of the best nights turned out to be the worst night. I was happy only to end up alone and hurt, all because he wouldn't tell me the truth.

After finishing my cup of coffee, I head to the shower. The warm water soothes my pain for just a moment. I step out and get dressed. I pick up my phone and call my dad. "Hi, sweetheart," he says as he answers.

"Hey, dad." I respond.

"How's everything? I heard the news; please tell me you are safe and obeying the curfew rules."

"I am," I lie. "I actually called to ask how much winter tires for my Jeep would cost. The snow has already begun, and I don't want to be sliding all over the road." I say.

"About a thousand for all four tires. But I'll pay for it. I'll send you the money, and as soon as you get it, I want you to go get them switched."

"Yes, sir. Thanks, dad. I love you."

"I love you too, sweety."

I hang up and wait for the email to come through. As I wait, I grab my boots and slip them on. I grab my black winter vest and grey toque. I put them on, allowing my hair to flow under the hat. My phone dings, and I get the notification that my dad sent me the money. I grab the keys to my Jeep and head out.

I take a deep breath of the crisp winter air and feel the cold breeze on my face. As I start the engine, I can't help but feel grateful for my dad's help in getting me through this tough time. I drive slowly, heading to the auto shop. I pull into their parking lot across from the mall and walk inside. I speak to the friendly lady at the desk, and I point to my Jeep. She smiles and says they can fit me in right after they are done with the truck in front of me. She says I can take a seat in their waiting area or go about my day; it would be a two hour wait. I smile and walk toward their waiting area, and as I walk in, I see the one person I didn't want to see. Gage.

I turn on my heel and walk away. I walk out the doors and make my way to the mall, but someone grabs my arm. I turn around to see Gage. "Please talk to me." He begs. "I miss you."

"Okay, tell me what's going on." He looks at me without saying a word. I step closer to him, and I can feel his breath on me. "Okay, fine, then answer me this. What are you protecting me from?" His eyes widen as he realises I'm on to him. He stays silent, and I let out a little laugh. "Leave me alone." I turn on my heel and walk away from him. As I walk away, I can feel his gaze on my back, and I wonder what secrets he's keeping from me. But one thing is for sure: I won't let him protect me if it means hiding the truth.

As I walk, I feel the pain from his lies ripple through my body as I try to hold back my tears. I grip my vest as I walk, wishing that we could go back to when everything was normal, but that seems like another world. The trust we once had is shattered, and I don't know if it can ever be repaired. I remember him holding on to me tightly and me never wanting him to let go; I can still feel my racing heart. But now, even when he reaches out to touch me, I flinch. The memories of that night haunt me, and I don't know if I'll ever be able to fully trust him again. I keep walking, trying to push those thoughts to the back of my mind. I know I need to focus on finding the truth and getting to the bottom of everything.