Chapter 13- Star

I watch in my mirror as he walks away. He disappeared last night and still lied to my face when I asked him about it. I know something is going on with Gage and his friends. Last night's party made it evident that he is the leader of whatever they are. I can't shake off the feeling that he's involved in something dangerous. But nonetheless, I'm falling for him more and more each day. I'm trying to fight what my head says against what my heart wants. But my heart seems to be winning.

My thoughts are interrupted when Laura walks into my room. She jumps on my bed, and lays back. "So, you and Gage?" She questions me with a knowing smile. I feel my cheeks flush and try to play it cool, but inside I'm a mess. My heart skips a beat at her words, confirming what I already knew deep down - I'm falling for Gage.

I roll my eyes and respond, "Shut up; you don't see me mentioning you and Ace." But the truth is, I can't deny my feelings for Gage any longer. Every time I'm around him, my heart races and my mind goes blank. It's like he has a hold on me that I can't shake off.

"Oh, Ace is just a fun time. Have you seen Keenan? Granted, he isn't as hot as Ace or anywhere near what Gage looks like, but he seems like he would be fun."

"Oh my god, you're a whore." I laugh, my back hitting the wall. "Meh, I'm only young once." She laughs, and sits up; her eyes lock onto me. "So, you and Gage? What's happening there?"

I turn to face her and say, "I don't know. He is different. He's been really sweet; he asked me to be his girlfriend," I say with a shrug. "We're just taking it day by day." She nods, studying me for a moment before speaking again. "Well, just make sure you're happy and that he treats you right. Don't settle for anything less." I smile at her words, grateful for her advice. "Thanks, I will."

Her eyes widen, and a smile crosses her face: "Goodbye, Levi, and Hello, Gage!" She starts to laugh. "In all seriousness, I'm happy for you. You need a new start away from all that toxicity." I smile as she says those words. Gage is like a breath of fresh air, different from when I was with my ex; his arms around me make me feel safe.

I grab the keys to my car and motion for her to follow me. "Shopping?" I grin. The day is just beginning, and we both have time to kill.

"Hell yeah," She jumps up and follows me to my car. We get in, and I start the engine and let the music fill the car. As we drive towards the mall, we discuss our shopping strategy and make a mental list of the things we need to buy. We arrive at the mall and start browsing through different stores, trying on clothes and shoes. After a few hours of shopping, we take a break to grab some food before continuing our shopping spree.

As we get home, Laura sits on the couch and leans back, "I'm exhausted." She wines. I begin to laugh, head to my room, and drop my bags on the floor. The smell of sandalwood and fresh laundry fills my room. Gage's scent lingers in my room and I smile.

Once I settle into my bed, I turn on my laptop. I scan through my emails and find a new one from the school's administrator. The email informs me of my schedule for this year. It is important that I review the schedule thoroughly and make note of any important dates or deadlines to ensure that I am able to stay on track and meet all of my obligations. I mark the important dates on my calendar and then read the next email informing me of the freshman mixer they will be holding the Saturday before school begins.

My phone goes off, and Levi's name pops up on my screen.

I keep forgetting to block his number.

"Hello," I answer.

"What the fuck, Star?" He shouts, "Who the hell was that guy that answered your phone?"