Chapter 59- Gage

We clean up all the paint supplies and put the paint cans in the storage room. Finally, after everything has been said and done, we proceed to the shower to clean up. I grab the shower gel and begin scrubbing the paint from my body, while Star does the same. The warm water feels good against my skin, we both step out and put on some clean clothes.

Star takes her laundry basket, adds my clothes to it, and walks down the hall to begin a load. She comes back in and grabs blankets from her closet, and we head to the living room. I close the door to her bedroom and leave the window slightly open to air out her room for the night.

I lay back on the couch and bring her in between my legs. I hold her close as she covers us with blankets, and I flip through the channels to find something to watch.

"Thank you for helping me today." She speaks softly.

"Of course." I say as I kiss the top of her hair, "Anything for you." I pick a movie, and she laughs. "I know it's November, but aren't Christmas movies too early?"

"Nah, I think it's perfect on a night like this, plus I can't wait to spend our first Christmas together."

She smiles as she turns around and crosses her arms across my chest. Her eyes twinkle, and I can't help but feel warm inside, knowing that we'll be making new memories together over the holidays.

I take my thumb and brush her cheek. "I love you, Star. More than you will ever know." Star's smile widens as she leans into my touch, feeling grateful for the love and warmth that we bring into each other's lives. She whispers back, "I love you too, more than words could ever express."

Our eyes meet, and we both know that our love is beyond measure, a bond that will never be broken. I embrace her tightly, cherishing the moment.

Time passes as we watch the movie, and I look down to see that she has fallen asleep. I kiss her head and pull the blanket over her shoulder to keep her warm. After some time flipping through channels, I begin to feel my eyes grow heavy, and I finally drift into a deep sleep, dropping the remote onto the floor.

I wake up to the sun shining brightly through the living room windows. Star's eyes flutter open, and she looks at me. "Morning," she says, half asleep.

"Morning." I say. I grab my phone from the table and check the time; it's half past noon. "Shit, we slept in. It's already after noon." I tell her.

"Well, there is no school; all we have time for is to sleep nowadays." She says this as she rubs her face. She gets up and stretches her arms. I also get up and head to the bathroom to brush my teeth. The smell of fresh paint and cold air mix as I enter her room. I walk over to the window and close it, allowing the furnace to kick in and warm up her room. As I brush my teeth, the faint smell of coffee fills my nostrils as Star walks in. She takes out her toothbrush and brushes her teeth as well. We get dressed after waking up, wearing nearly identical outfits: a hoodie and sweatpants.

We both head toward the kitchen, and I head to the front door to see if the plows have come by.

"Roads are cleared." I shout as she pours two cups of coffee for us. I sit on the couch, and she hands me my mug. She takes a seat, looks around the room, and begins to laugh. "After I wake up, I need to get everything back in my room and organised."

"Well, that's what I'm for. I'm the muscle; you tell me where it goes." I smile at her. She grabs the remote, flips through the channels, and lands on the news as Laura and Ace come running in.

"On today's news , two bodies have been found near Silver Creek cliffs. Corners report an animal attack. The sheriff's department has extended the curfew for anyone under the age of twenty-five. It seems the lookdown on the school will continue into the new year as investigators work around the clock to put pieces together. So please be safe while out and about, and a caution to stay away from the woods and cliffs of Silver Creek."

I see the look on Star's face, and she bites her tongue, knowing she can't ask questions. So instead, she gets up and heads to her room. "We came as fast as we could to make sure she didn't see that." Ace whispers.

"It wasn't you guys, so was it Zion and his pack?" Laura asks.

I clench my fists and nod. I lean back on the couch, and gaze up at the ceiling. "How in the hell am I going to protect her from this? It's almost like they want her to know, like the elders know who she is." I say it quietly. My father's words reverberate in the back of my mind. - "If I know, the elders will find out soon enough. And I wouldn't trust them." - The sound of footsteps stops our conversation, and I see Star with her gym bag and her keys. "Woah, where are you going?" I say as I stand up.

"To let out some energy." As she walks to the door, she says. "This time, don't follow me." She storms out and heads to her Jeep. I watch as she drives away, pulling out of the driveway.

"Dude, where is she going?" Ace asks.

"To the ring." I put my head down. Ace looks at me and says, "Wait, you mean she's going to go box? Dude, I want to box her!" he exclaims, his face lighting up like a two-year-old with candy.

"No, I know your speed and strength, and I know you'll hurt her." Laura says.

"No, I won't. I'll go easy on her, I promise. I just want to see if she's as good as you both say she is." Ace tells her.

I shake my head and warn him. "She may have missed me, but I bet my life she will land a hit on you."

"What's the difference between you and me? We're both quick and strong," he says.

"The difference, hmm, I don't know? I'm the alpha, and you're not. Our strength and speed are not synonymous."

"He has a point, Ace. Star is tactical. She thinks before she strikes. She's competitive; she always has been." Laura says as she sits back on the couch, "And when she's mad, it's like something takes over. All she's focused on is taking down who is in front of her, whoever has hurt her, and I'm pretty sure she left here beyond pissed."

I look at Ace, and he looks freaked out, but that changes, and he begins to laugh. "I'm still up for the challenge." I shake my head and grab my keys. I tell Ace he needs to change because he can't box in his jeans. He heads home while I warm up the truck, and he finally emerges, jumping in as Laura sits in the back. He has a gym bag in his hand and a smile on his face.

As I drive, I can't help but visualise what will happen, and I internally laugh. I finally make it and pull into the boxing gym parking lot. Laura and Ace jump out, and I sit back for a few minutes, thinking about how all this could go wrong. Laura's words run through my mind. Star takes down anyone who hurts her as if something comes over her, just like a Zeta. I sit there and realise she was destined to play this part in our world, and there is nothing I can do to stop it. But I'm going to try. I will do everything in my power to protect her and make sure she doesn't have to face the darkness alone. Together, we will fight.