𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝒮𝑒𝓋𝑒𝓃𝓉𝑒𝑒𝓃

Song: Dandelions by Ruth B.

**

Maxwell Augustus

Maxwell Augustus

Megan used to always joke about me being Lisa's father, or at least I always took them as jokes.

I think the first time she made that 'joke' was when my little Lisa was only two years old, she was on my shoulders holding onto my loose curls in her small hands letting out soft little giggles with every movement.

I was just seventeen years old, I had no idea how to take care of a baby much less a little girl. I mean, I was only fifteen when she turned up at our door. I don't know what I was thinking when I begged my father to let her stay but something inside me told me that I needed to protect that baby with my life.

That's the one thing I will never fail at.

I remember reading a quote once;

"A daughter needs a dad to be the standard against which she will judge all men." ~ George E. Lang

No matter how much I don't want her to grow up, I can't keep her in a glass cage. One day she will grow up and leave her nest, maybe she'll meet someone and fall head over heels in love with them.

No matter how much I don't like to think that far into her future, I know growing up is inevitable, the one thing I can hope for is she doesn't find someone like our supposed father or Shane thinking the way I get treated by them is normal.

"Princess, are you ready to go to your friend's house?" I ask my little Lisa, it's the weekend so instead of dropping her off at school I typically drop her off at a friend's house.

She actually has three friends who I am comfortable enough for her to spend an entire day with. Given the family I was cursed with I may be a bit too conscious about who she spends time with.

The friend who she chose to go to today is Apigail but don't mistake her for Abigail, she put mash potatoes in my princesses hair.

I've spent quite a bit of time with Apigail's parents, even went on a week-long family vacation with their entire family about a year ago.

They are good people and with how fucked up our supposed family is, it's good for her to get a sense of a healthy family dynamic even if I can't give it to her. Not now.

The last thing I would want is for her to think anything that goes on in this house is normal. I try my best to give her everything she could ever need but even then there are some things I can't provide, at least not now.

Maybe I'll always fall short.

As her brother.

And most certainly as her father.

"Almost... Do you know where my black flats are? The ones with the little bow on top?" She responds.

"Did you check the shoe bin?"