𝐸𝓅𝒾𝓁𝑜𝑔𝓊𝑒

Song: In case you don't live forever by Ben Platt

**

Romeo Ferrari

Romeo Ferrari

Eight years later:

"Papa?"

"I'm in the kitchen!"

"There you are. I've been looking everywhere for you." Lisa states as she dramatically pants as if she ran a marathon, she definitely gets her dramatics from her dad.

"Clearly not everywhere little one, I've been here for the last hour."

"Hey! I'm not little. I'm sixteen."

"You'll always be my little girl, it will do you some good to understand that."

"But I'm not little." She continues to complain, "Ugh, fine. Whatever. That is so not the point right now, is today the big day?" She changes the topic quicker than her father stealing all of my sweatshirts.

"It is."

"He'll say yes."

"I'm glad you are so hopeful"

"Papa?"

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing... Nothing's wrong... I'm really freaking happy right now. I just want to thank you.."

"For what?"

"For loving my dad, for loving us, for caring for us... I don't know.. For showing me what real love is... For saving us, for holding my dad when he would have really bad days, and for holding me when I had nightmares. I know we aren't the easiest to deal with sometimes, like father like daughter I suppose, and I know sometimes I seem so mad at the world and I say a lot of things I don't mean, but you never yelled at me. Instead you just sit me down and ask why I'm angry... So thank you... and thank you for accepting me as your daughter when you definitely don't have to."

"Come here lady bug, before you make me cry and I look like a mess when I pop the big question." I say while quickly embracing my daughter in a tight hug. "Is everything set up?"

"Yup! Aunty Meg and I just got back, it's beautiful. I thought the location was a bit odd but she was talking to me about how you and papa met and although being a bit weird it's so incredibly cute... Plus my dad likes weird and nonconventional things, it's so much better than some random field, or dinner, or a hike in the mountains.... He would complain the entire time if you did that last one."

"Oh little one, I know. For our first date I took him to the waterfall your Nonna took me to when I was a kid, and he was complaining about his heart the entire time, as if I'm not his doctor and know what he should and should do."

"Yeah... He's a lil' goofy sometimes."

"A little bit."

"Papa.. I love you."

"I love you too lady bug, now help me finish getting ready."

"Yes!"

"Hopefully your father will say the same thing in a few hours."

**

"Babe, you know I trust you... But if you wanted to push me off a building is the rooftop of the hospital you own really such a good idea?" Max says skeptically as we climb the last few steps leading to the rooftop of the building that was once owned by my father but he passed it off to me four years ago.

I grab his hand and head him through the path of rose petals and candles that Megan and Lisa helped me set up earlier in the day.

"Okay.... What's going on?"

"I always really liked the view from up here, especially at sunset." I reply while pointing at the various shades of orange, red, and pink that painted the blue sky.

"It's beautiful." He whispered.

"Yeah it is." I replied, but I wasn't looking at the sky anymore. "I used to come to the hospital quite often with my dad to observe how things are run but oftentimes I would sneak off and end up here. That ended up being the best thing I have ever done, that's what I was attempting to do when you ran into me."

I feel sweat form across my forehead as we admire the view.

As he was distracted I pulled the black box from my back pocket and got down on one knee — silently praying everything goes to plan.

"Max." I say to get his attention, which worked as he spun around, nearly stumbling on his own two feet. Just as clumsy as ever.

"Holy shit." He whispered as I opened the small velvet box.

"Maxwell George Augustus...

Exactly eighteen years ago today you ran into me while trying to sneak out of this exact hospital, I think some part of me knew that you were someone I would never want to let go.

We were friends first and then suddenly you were my everything.

Eight years ago I realized how much I liked my best friend.

Also eight years ago and still in this very hospital I discovered those feelings that circulated my veins were beyond like, I knew right then and there that I loved you and I hated feeling so helpless with no idea how to help you.

I didn't know much back then but I knew I was never going to let you go.

I took far too long to admit it to you, and I took even longer to admit it to myself.

I waited too long to say everything you deserved to hear so just in case you don't live forever I want you to know I wouldn't be the person I am today without you. I was told that forever is a really fucking long time but I want to love you for my forever. Even if I am forced to walk this planet after you leave it, I will always love you.

You are my first love Maxie and I know for a fact you will be my last.

It took me ten years to realize I was madly in love with my dorky best friend.

It took me ten years before I allowed myself to melt at the sound of your sweet laughter that I could listen to all day.

Or the way you smile when you talk.

I wanted to be your person, your best friend, and your boyfriend...

I love being loved by you and I really don't want to wait another decade.

So Max... Will you give me the honor of calling you my person, my best friend, and my husband and finally marry me?"

"I thought you would never ask." Max whispers with tears streaming down his perfect face.

"Is that a yes?" I ask hopefully.

"That's a fuck yeah."

"Fuck yeah" I mimic while gently sliding the silver band engraved with the date we first met onto his ring finger.

The date that truly changed everything.

As long as I have him, nothing else matters.

I've learned over the years that there is no force powerful enough to tear us apart

Not even his own self-negligence.

**The End**

[Words: 1112]
[Edited: January 23, 2024]