Twenty-Two: Guilt

Jungkook was leaning against the side of his car when I walked out of school that afternoon

Jungkook was leaning against the side of his car when I walked out of school that afternoon. Normally, it was a position I'd come to be familiar with yet every time, it seemed to take my breath away.

But that day, I had a myriad of emotions swirling within me; worry twisting the structure of my stomach like a threading machine, my heart palpitating like the restless beats of a rock star's drum in fear, beads of sweat forming on the tiny pores of my body and at some point that day, I couldn't stop my hands from shaking.

Seeing Jungkook was like extinguishing a wildfire. All day I had tried to concentrate on school and its drama but my head had been filled with thoughts. Thoughts of  Jungkook and Mr. Cho and Namjoon—whom I'd tried to contact since he'd dropped me off that morning, but to no avail.

"Hey," Jungkook called when I was within inches of him before he was getting ambushed by my embrace.

"Thank God, you're okay," I breathed out, taking in all of him in one single inhale as his arms wrapped around me even tighter. "I was afraid something bad would happen."

"I'm fine, baby."

"I called your phone but you didn't pick up. I was so worried."

Jungkook's expression was masked with realization. "Right. I dropped in the frenzy of things and my friend picked it up. I forgot to take it back from him," He explained. "Anyways, how are you?"

"Okay now," I admitted, cracking a small smile as I let myself bask in the relief I was feeling at the moment. If it weren't for the students pouring out of the gate, I would have kissed Jungkook's perfect lips to satisfy my sudden desire. Instead, I reached out to touch Jungkook's face, grazing my fingers against the square outline of his jaw before pulling away.

Jungkook's hand was taking mine in an instant, returning my hand to his smooth face. He shut his eyes, leaning into my touch and causing a stir in the pit of my stomach, one that made it almost impossible for me to look away from him because I was utterly enthralled by the man standing in front of me.

"I missed you all day," Jungkook said.

"Me too," I said slowly, almost in a whisper, my heart racing against his chest.

When Jungkook opened his eyes, they were fixed on mine. The dark piercing orbs that I was certain could see into my soul. Then he was leading me to the passenger side.

After shutting the door, Jungkook turned the corner and climbed to the driver's side. I watched him eagerly as he situated behind the wheel. Then he leaned towards me and captured my lips in his.

I was momentarily taken aback by the abruptness of the kiss but it didn't take me long to get on track. I felt something drop inside of me, like an unnecessary weight falling off my shoulders or maybe it was my heart getting submerged in the chaos of my stomach swarmed with butterflies and monster eagles, threatening to tear my insides into shreds because Jungkook was driving me insane.