Twenty-Three: Merciful

Jimin held a lit cigarette between his fingers, as he stared out over the balcony

Jimin held a lit cigarette between his fingers, as he stared out over the balcony. It was windy that evening and the cold air sent his hair billowing in frenzy but he was too lost in thought to realize it was in his face as well.

"That's a sight," Jungkook said stepping out into the cold, shutting the glass door behind him.

Jimin smiled wide, brought the cigarette to his lips and took a long drag. He tossed the smoke around in his mouth for a few seconds before letting go. "Not as much as your boy."

Jungkook joined him, leaning against the railings. "I thought you quit."

"I started again," Jimin said, fetching a pack and offering Jungkook who waved him off. "Don't tell me you quit?"

"Just not in the mood," He said, watching the beautiful cityscape in the darkness. Faint lights filled the city place, casting silhouettes on everything. "What made you start again?"

Shrugging, Jimin said. "I missed it, realized I don't have the strength to resist and jumped back on the wagon."

"Maybe you haven't found a good enough reason to stop."

"Have you?" Jimin asked and even though his question stopped there, Jungkook read the rest in his eyes. People didn't realize how much they said with their eyes, especially when they held back their voices.

"He doesn't mind that I smoke," he answered Jimin's unspoken question.

"He will eventually," Jimin said, matter-of-factly. He took a quick drag of his cigarette. "They always fucking do," He rushed out, exhaling the smoke. "People who don't smoke will always try to get the other person who does to stop."

"Then I will."

Jimin stopped and turned to look at Jungkook with brows raised. "You'll quit if Jin asks you to?"

Jungkook shrugged. "Of course. I love my cigarettes, and I enjoy the feeling it gives me every time I indulge. But Jin? What I feel around him is unlike anything I've ever felt before. His smile clouds my senses. His laugh gets me higher than fucking weed. I could drown in his eyes for hours. I know I sound stupidly cheesy right now but what I'm saying-"

"You love him."

"What I'm saying is, I'd give up anything just to be with him," Jungkook completed, ignoring Jimin's input. He didn't need anyone's help navigating his way to a place he'd already discovered. Jimin was definitely not going to hear the words before Jin did.

Jimin nodded satisfactorily at his response. "I'm glad you feel that way. I didn't think it was possible for you to open your heart again to someone but here you are. And you're happy."

"I didn't think so either, but with him, it's so easy. I'm not sure when the lines started to blur and it all became this serious," he admitted, and then he shook his head. "I'm not even sure there ever was a line. I was certain from the first time I met him, certain I wanted to have him around me for a long time, certain I wanted to mean something to him. It's crazy."

"It is, which is why you need to be careful," Jimin said, more seriously, meaning business. "We were lucky that King had nothing to do with this whole drama that went down, but we can't let our guards down just because of that. He's still actively after you."

"What exactly does he want from me?"

"He doesn't want anything from you," Jimin stated. "He just wants you. You left. You killed his ego. Then you showed up a few weeks ago and stole 3 million dollars worth of gems from him, did you really think he'd not do anything?"

"Yeah, I did think he'd leave me alone. He killed Yun. Do you not get it? I was his guardian, Jimin, and because he wanted to spite me, he killed him off. Yes, I wanted to hurt, King. I wanted to touch him where it stung, so I stole his dead father's jewelries. That should make us even," Jungkook said, although nothing was worth a human's life, especially an innocent one.

"Well, he doesn't want his diamonds anymore. He just wants you."

"He wants to kill me."

"I'm sure the thought has crossed his mind." Jimin turned and leaned against the railing, his back to the world. "It doesn't matter what he wants. All that matters is he doesn't get it."

"I'm not running."

"I'm not asking you to run. It's too late for that, anyway. He's ready for you, Jungkook. He'll follow you to the end of the world. I'm asking you to be prepared," Jimin said. He'd finished the cigarette in his hand, crushed the butt and lit another one immediately after.

Jungkook ran his fingers through his messy hair and let out a groan of frustration. "I'm more concerned about Jin."

He knew Jimin was thinking the same thing as he was. If King wanted to hit him where it hurt the most, he'd not touch a hair on Jungkook's body. No, he'd go for Jin.

And King was a ruthless man who liked to play dirty and then, enjoy every second of it. He was the epitome of evil and it had taken quite some time for Jungkook to see it.

For so long, he'd been blinded by the respect he'd had for the man. He'd believed every action King had carried out had a justifiable reason for it, so he never questioned it, until it became clear as day that the man had a thing for using and killing innocent people.

When he left, King had been enraged. He'd tried to bring Jungkook back by holding Yun hostage. But Jimin was there, Jungkook had made Jimin promise to take care of the boy when he'd left.

But that was until King's pride couldn't handle it anymore. He killed Yun—an orphan who Jungkook had personally taken in—to lure Jungkook back and it worked. Jungkook had gone back but not to bridge things over. He took King's most priced treasures and angrily, sank them in the ocean.

Jimin had gone back to retrieve them with professional divers but as long as King was concerned, the gems were still sitting somewhere in the Atlantic Ocean.

"There's one thing we can do about Jin," Jimin said, taking an annoying pause to take a drag from his cigarette. He was going through them like he was drinking water. "Tell him."

"I can't."

"Why? You don't want him to know his boyfriend isn't exactly a Saint?" Jimin asked but didn't wait for an answer because he knew he wasn't going to get it. "Trust me, he knows. He just doesn't know how worse it gets. You have to come clean to him. Whatever his reaction would be now, it would be a lot worse if he finds out while hanging upside down from a rope, 100ft in the air."

Jungkook knew Jimin was right but he couldn't bring himself to do it, look Jin in the eye and tell him he worked for a merciless, vindictive mafia who was angrily out to get him. To add to that, King knew about Jin and would probably take more pleasure in killing him than he would in doing the same to Jungkook.

Jin was through too much already. In the short time that they'd met, he had suffered more than regular guys his age. To think that wasn't even the worst; that the worst was yet to come made Jungkook uneasy.

"Telling him would probably be the most merciful thing you do for him right now."

Jungkook shut his eyes once more, his head falling backwards. He didn't know how he was going to do this but it was not going to be funny or easy.

He just hoped after it all he still had Jin by his side because the thought of losing Jin was graver than any harm King planned on physically inflicting on Jungkook.