Twenty-Four: Stay

"Stop looking at me like I've just been diagnosed with a terminal sickness," Namjoon croaked, his mouth pulled up painfully to one side in an attempted smirk

"Stop looking at me like I've just been diagnosed with a terminal sickness," Namjoon croaked, his mouth pulled up painfully to one side in an attempted smirk. "I'm fine, Jin," He said again when the look on my face didn't dissolve.

"Why did you go?" I asked, watching Namjoon, unable to understand why he'd let his strong headedness leave him in such pitiful condition. "Jungkook said he had it. Why didn't you believe him, take the Goat to the pet shop as planned and just go back home to sleep or play video games or bug my mum all day like you do when you're bored?"

"I had to, Jin," He said, the weird smile still on his face. But the look in his eyes had changed. It was less teasing and more sad. "It was my entire fault. He did all of those because of me. I had to find out why."

"It doesn't matter why-"

"It does," Namjoon said cutting me off. "I fucked up, Jin. Do you remember that day we went to the Library, the day you met Jungkook that we got chased by my ex's husband?"

It didn't take too long for me to connect the whole thing. "We were chased by Mr. Cho?"

Namjoon nodded, against the headboard. He was sitting up against it, wearing only a dark singlet and shorts. "He found out that day."

"And he quit at the school the day after," I recalled. "He saw me. He taught us that morning and just quit right after." A gasp escaped me. I was shocked to my bones.

"You were right. That day you told me nemesis was going to catch up to me and I didn't believe you. I didn't think I was going to drag you into my shit and cause all of this chaos because I only think with my fucking dick," He winced, and then bent over holding his hand to his chest.

I rushed over from where I was leaning against the wall. "What is it?" I asked, panicked. There were so much bruises on his body, so much to cause excessive pain, that I wasn't sure how he was able to even move, let alone smile or wave his hand around as he spoke.

"If you rush over every time I feel pain, you might as well glue yourself to me right now because it fucking hurts all the time," He said. Then he continued, "I'm just glad that you're okay. That he's not going to be able to harass you anymore."

Mr. Cho had given me terrible nightmares that I wanted to forget. He'd made me worse than when all that ate me up was my father, made me more depressed than I already was and made me foolishly paranoid. I was also glad that it was over.

But Namjoon didn't have to be in such a state for it to be over. I won't lie, I understood that Namjoon needed answers to the questions in his head, and even though he was going through pain, he'd been more than satisfied having gotten them.

"Am I expected to go home with you today?" Namjoon asked.

"And tell my mum that you got run over by a truck 10 times? Because seeing you, that's the only other explanation she'd believe," I said. "Or we could just tell her the truth that your ex manfriend's husband beat you to pulp for breaking his marriage."