Thirty-Four: Tired

Bang!

Bang!

The gunshot was so loud, it rang and reverberated within the soundproofed room as I collapsed to the floor with a thud.

I felt pain but I wasn't dead. King had pointed the gun at my head. If he'd shot me, I wouldn't be conscious to analyze my consciousness. So, I picked up my head and looked around to find King on the floor, blood oozing from one arm while he scrambled the floor for his gun that had fallen.

Jungkook tackled him before he could grab it. Kicking the gun away, Jungkook climbed on top of him and sent a punch to his face. Hard. King reached for his collar and tried to wrap a hand around his neck, but Jungkook easily dodged it.

He pounded into the man's face over and over and over and over again, not satisfied with his broken nose and busted lips and swollen eyes, he looked so angry, so vengeful like he wanted to beat him to death.

"Jin, are you okay?" Jimin asked, pulling me up and untying the knot around my hand.

Now free, I scrambled away from Jimin, knowing fully well he'd knocked me out earlier and had betrayed Jungkook. He was holding a gun and I deduced he'd been the one that had shot King, but still I crawled away from him, grabbing for King's gun and pointing it at Jimin. "I swear I'll shoot if you come close to me."

Was the safety on or off? I didn't know. But I didn't lower my aim from Jimin. Or at least, I thought I was aiming at Jimin.

"Calm down, Jin. I'm not going to hurt you," Jimin said softly, hands raised in the air.

I craddled the gun in two shaky hands. "You already hurt me, you bastard! You betrayed Jungkook!"

"I promise, I didn't betray him."

I looked around, confused. What the hell was going on? Why weren't King's thugs helping King? Why were they just standing and watching so casually as Jungkook beat him unconscious?

I was skeptical of the whole situation and definitely didn't believe Jimin. "What do you mean?" But before Jimin could answer, Jungkook was running over to me and pulling me into a tight embrace.

"I'm so sorry," Jungkook said, running his hands up and down my back in much needed caress. "I'm so sorry, baby. I'm sorry."

"Jungkook, what the— what just..." My words faded because I didn't know what to say. I was confused and tired and relieved. I just wanted to get the hell away from there.

Jungkook pulled away just so he could look at my face. He swallowed and noded. "I know, baby. I know but I promise, I'll explain everything to you. Alright?"

I nodded and buried my head on Jungkook's shoulder, needing the warmth, the assurance and the love desperately.

"You both need to leave," Jimin called from behind.

I felt Jungkook stiffen against me, then he pulled away completely stormed over to Jimin and punched him the face. "When was it part of the plan to lay a finger on Jin?!"

Jimin stumbled backwards, almost tripping over his feet. "I needed to make it look real."

Asshole.

"By splitting his head open, you fucking sick son of a bitch?!" He sent a kick next and went for another punch, but Jimin cowered with hands in the air.

"Fuck, Jungkook! I'm sorry, okay? I didn't mean to hit him that hard. I forgot I had my rings on!"

Jungkook glared at him, fists clenched so tightly his veins looked about ready to burst. He groaned, smashing his hand into the wall above Jimin's head.

"You have no idea how much I want to put a bullet through your head!" Jungkook gritted out at him. "The only reason you're not bleeding from your forehead now is because you kept to some part of the plan. I swear that's the only reason you're alive now, Jimin."

"I know. Let me apologize more later, okay?" Jimin said, his breathing heavy. "But right now, you need to get out of here."

I knew he was right. These men were not loyal to anyone. They had easily turned on King, and I guessed it was because Jimin had bribed them with more than they could make in 10 generations. In spite of that, they had half a heart to turn around and kill us.

"You need to get these children somewhere safe," Jungkook said to Jimin who nodded, then he gestured towards King. "Take him with you. Make sure he stays alive. I'll give him the slow, painful death he loves to give to others."

He walked over to where I was shaking at a corner, the gravity of the whole incident catching up to me all at once. I felt sick to my stomach. This time, when Jungkook reached to touch my face, I flinched slightly.

A look of hurt flashed across his face, but it was gone in seconds. "We have to go," he said, before taking my hand and leading me out of the room.

He took one of King's cars, helping me into the passenger seat and fixing the seat belt before making his way to the driver side. I turned away from him to look out the window. Somehow, I couldn't bring myself to look at him or meet his pleading gaze.

The journey was quiet. Even when we ditched King's car where Jungkook own car was parked and resumed our journey, we both stayed silent.

I was confused and angry and shaken.

"What did Jimin mean?" I asked, moments later, in such small voice I doubted he'd heard me. But he had. "About my dad."

I didn't have to explain what I meant, Jungkook understood. "I would never do something like that to you."

"But Jimin said you did."

"Jimin said what King wanted him to say. He was just trying to get you to hate me."

I stayed quiet for a moment, before adding, "I would never hate you." And I meant it.

Silence fell over us again.

Jungkook took me to the hospital to treat my wounds. On the way later, I felt his gaze on me most of the time, but I refused to meet them. I didn't utter a word when we got to my house and I took the seat belt off. I sat in my seat for a minute before reaching for the car door.

"I love you, Jin," Jungkook spoke. "I know you're upset and you need time to process what happened, but I just wanted you to know that I'm so sorry for what you had to experience today. I would never intentionally put you in such condition. I really love you. More than I have ever loved anybody else."

My eyes brimmed with tears and I chewed my bottom lip to stop my mouth from quivering. My heart hurt and my head hurt and I was in so much pain, physically and emotionally.

When the sob escaped my lips, I didn't try to hide that I was crying. Because I was truly tired. Tired of the hurt and the pain and the betrayal and the uncertainty.

I was tired of being the target of everyone else's mistakes. I had my own burdens to worry about but they always seemed small compared to the ones I was constantly getting pulled into.

I needed a break from all of it. I needed to be away because it was too much to bare.

So, instead of turning to Jungkook to tell I had been dying to hear those words leave his mouth, that I loved him more than anything in this world and then kiss him like we had just survived death, I opened the door, "I can't," I choked out before climbing out, shutting the door and walking away without a glance backwards.