Chapter 39:The Signs of Time

A small boy protested plainly as wires and machines tapped into his abilities. He played a card on his duel disk and destroyed a small cement pillar in front of him with a fireball. Next up, he was surrounded by electrical currents.

Akiza turned away from the images on the screen. Clarice and Yusei stood nearby watching in discomfort.

"Don't worry," Mina spoke up. "He isn't in any pain. The child is actually creating that electro static force field with his telekinetic abilities. We found his file in the Arcadia building. Apparently, Sayer was a master manipulator who had taken duelists with powers like yours, and depending on their strength, they would either stay or disappear."

'Could it be true?' Akiza grit her teeth. This was hard to take. 'Was Sayer really doing that to people? Was Misty telling the truth? If he was recruited, that means Misty's brother could be one of the one's that vanished!'

"I'm sorry, Akiza." Mikage showed one of the Public Security Bureau's tablets with all of Sayer's files. Targets and recruits. Photos with names, numbers, statuses, backgrounds, and power levels.

"I know this has to come as a shock after everything you've been through, but it looks like Sayer was one of the bad guys. The true purpose of his Arcadia Movement was to create an army of psychic duelists he could use to try and take over the world. You were just another soldier that he was training for the battlefield to fight. It's all here. He was using you."

Akiza's photo appeared alongside the others. Number 99. An active Arcadia Movement member. Power levels estimated in the 95th percentile. Psychological analysis too, and notes about her relationship with her parents.

Akiza's eyes watered. All those conversations that had her suddenly flipping or changing her mind... All those pieces coming together. It all made sense. She'd never imagined having all the answers would be so painful.

Akiza took the chance to escape. She needed space from Sayer's real story.

"You can't run away from the truth, Akiza, we need your help! You have the mark of the dragon and we need you to beat the Dark signers! Please come back!"

Clarice sighs, and it was time to make her point by finding Akiza as Yusei follows behind her.

"We can't do this without her Clar-"

"You know...there are other stuffs than dealing with the Dark Signers, woman." Clarice cuts her off making Mina flinch. "She and the rest maybe chosen, but they are more than that. So don't go to far."

Clarice and Yusei found Akiza sitting at the table. Niro suddenly pull Yusei out of the picture and drag him away so Clarice can have a girl to girl chat as she took her own seat the opposite from Akiza.

Yusei  was totally annoyed as to why Niro pulled him away from Clarice and then Niro whispered in his ear that they need a girl talk.

"Do you wish to talk?" Clarice asked.

"No, not really," Akiza sniffled, she rubbed her eye and rested her head in her hands on the table. "I just feel so stupid... He used me, and I fell for it over and over again."

"Well I did say I told you so, but it's not your fault he lied to you, Akiza."

"I know, but I should've known better!"

Clarice groaned. "You were once a kid. You trusted a guy with bad hair who doesn't care but himself. It happens a lot with rich sissy's. A kid who once thought they can make a world a better place, but it turns out when they become adults they lost what it means by going too far."