Chapter 41: Mark of the Spider - Part 1

The helicopter flew steadily towards the Satellite. The closer it got, the more treacherous it became. The sky darkened and lightning flashed in all directions. Trudge did his best to avoid getting zapped.

"You seem to be in the know." Akiza turned to Mina. Anything for a distraction from the dangerous outdoors. "What's the story behind this Old Reactor thing?"

Mina's expression turned dark. Brown eyes darting between Clarice and Yusei. "They call it the Infinite Zero Reverse. A massive energy reactor being built by a group called the RRD malfunctioned and released a powerful charge of negative energy. That's what separated Satellite from the mainland of Domino City. The head of the reactor research division the one in charge of the reactor project was Yusei's father..."

"Wow, so if that was your dads project, what happen to him when that negative energy and stuff?" Leo asks.

"Ugh! Don't be dense, what do you think happened?" Luna scolded.

"Go back a few," Trudge interrupted. "Why would they put some no one from Satellite in charge of such an important project?"

Yusei swallowed. It was like Goodwin was always trying to give them just enough information to go into trouble off balance. His friends talking about him like he wasn't even there wasn't helping either. He frowned out the window, trying to keep a lid on the mess swirling around inside him.

Clarice's rested a hand on his shoulder. Warm and steadying him in the moment. "We'll figure it out together."

Her touch didn't fix anything, but she understood. Probably better than anyone how mixed-up Yusei was feeling. Both their families had a hand in this story. It was like their two storms quieted each other.

"Thanks Clar." he replied.

"Yusei and his dad were born in Domino City," Jack explained grumpily.

"So are you saying this Satellite reject isn't actually a Satellite reject?" Trudge was totally shock.

Jack's eyes narrowed and his voice went cold. "I was born in the Satellite, Trudge. Got a problem with that?"

Trudge's eyes widened. "Uh, no, of course not..." He focused his attention on piloting.

"That's right, turn around."

"Um...Clarice?"

Clarice hummed in response.

"You can fly, right? So why did you ride with us?" Luna asked. Her hazel eyes on the lightning flashing outside.

Clarice shrugged. "I don't exactly fly, but....If I did I would attract attention around people. Plus, Thunder and Lighting aren't my strong suit."

"Yeah because your still traumatized by loud sounds Dragapoo!" Niro teased her. 

"Piss off Niro."  Clarice spat a him knowing too well he was right.

"Say uh, is this lightning bothering anyone else?" Trudge asked. "One strike and we're finished."

"No." Clarice flinched and tries to stay calm when the latest bolt of lightning came scarily close. Illuminating the helicopter's interior with white light. Yusei wraps an arm around her to soothe her fears.

"Okay... I'm thinking we should turn this bird around."

"Our primary directive is to reach Satellite," Mina replied firmly.

Yusei got up and put a hand on Trudge's shoulder. With the other hand he pointed down to the island of Satellite. "Set us down near that building in the park."