Chapter 31: If you wake up in a ditch five hundred miles from here

Death takes a holiday 1

"No, no, no, you're right. It's definitely weird." Sam agrees. "Okay, Bobby, thanks." Sam hung up the phone.

Alexis watches as Dean hit the top of the juke box with his fist. "Is violence really the answer?" She asks jokingly.

"Apparently not." Dean walks back toward her. He sat down at the table beside her. "What's up?"

"Uh, Bobby found something in Wyoming." Sam tells him.

"A job?"

"No, a beach." Alexis scoffs.

"Maybe." Sam says. "Small town, no ones died in the past week and a half."

"That so unusual?" Dean asks.

"Well, it's how they're not dying. Um, one guy with terminal cancer strolls out to hospice. Another guy gets capped by a mugger, walks away without a scratch."

"Capped in the ass?"

"'Police say Mr. Jenkins was shot in the heart at point blank range by a 9 millimeter.'"

"And he's not a donut?"

"How the hell do you get shot in the heart and live?" Alexis asks.

"Locals are saying its a miracle." Sam looks up at the two.

"Okay." Dean says.

"Its gotta be something nasty, right? Maybe people making deals or something?"

"You think?"

"What else could it be?"

"I don't know."

"Wow. That's really helpful, Dean." Alexis stole a French fry from his plate.

"Oh, like you're coming up with anything."

"I--"

"Alright. Get that to go." Sam cut off the rest of that conversation. He grabs his stuff, standing up. When Dean and Alexis don't move, Sam asks, "What?"

"You sure you want me with you?" Dean asks.

"Why wouldn't I?"

"Ah, I don't know, I don't wanna be holding you back or nothing."

Sam sighs, rolling his eyes. "Dude, I've told you a hundred times, they was the siren talking, not me. Can we get past this?"

"Yeah, we're past it." Dean drops his burger back onto his plate.

"God, you two are worse than women." Alexis mutters, grabbing her bag and standing up.

~~~

"Now, you said you three were bloggers?" Jim, the man who was shot in the heart, asks.

"Yes, sir. FlooredByTheLord.com." Sam nods as Jim sat down across from the hunters.

"All God's glory fit to blog." Dean adds with a smile.

Sam clears his throat. "Um, some people around town are saying what happened to you was a miracle."

"It was, plain as day." Jim replies.

"How can you be so sure?" Alexis asks.

"How else do you explains it? The doctors can't. There's a bullet in my heart. Its pumping like a piston."

"Well, how do you explain it?" Dean questions.

Jim looked over at the sound of his daughter and wife in the other room. He looked back at the hunters. "Look, honestly... I was nobody's saint. Not exactly father of the year either."