Chapter 39: I think the wallpaper looks better with blood on it

Jump the shark 2

"Okay, so basically, you're saying every movie monster, every nightmare I've ever had, that's all real?" Adam asks.

"Godzilla is just a movie." Dean tells him from his spot by the window.

"Thank God. I wouldn't be hunting that bitch." Alexis sat down in his lap, setting down her cup of coffee on the table.

"We hunt them." Sam adds as he sat on the bed across from Adam. "So did dad."

"Okay." Adam says.

"Okay?" Dean echoes.

"What am I supposed to say?"

"That we're liars, that we're crazy. Nobody just says 'okay'."

"Well, you're my brothers. You're telling me the truth, right?"

"Yeah." Sam answers.

"Then I believe you." Adam looks between them. "Then what took my mom."

"We're not sure. Something's in town stealing bodies, living and dead. But we don't know what."

"Long list of freaks that fit the bill." Dean adds.

"Yeah, we're great at our job, as you can tell." Alexis sighs.

"You think maybe she might still be alive?" Adam asks. No one answered or met the boys eyes. "Oh. How can I help?"

"You can't." Dean states.

"That thing killed my mom. If you're hunting it, I want in."

"No."

"Dean, look, maybe--" Sam began.

"Maybe what?"

"He lost his mother. We can understand what that feels like."

"I'm so glad my mom's a bitch." Alexis mumbles, standing up and grabbing her now empty cup.

"Why do you think Dad never told us this kid, Sam? Huh?" Dean asks, his voice rising as he stood. "Why do you think he ripped out the pages?"

"Because--" Sam starts as Dean stops at the foot of the bed.

"Because he was protecting him."

"Dads dead, Dean."

"It doesn't matter." Dean argues. "He didn't want Adam to have our lives. Okay? And we're gonna respect his wishes."

"'Cause that can't be considered favoritism at all." Alexis pours herself another cup of coffee as she mutters to herself. She turns, leaning against the counter.

"Do I get a say in this?" Adam asks.

"No!" Dean yells.

"No." Sam, unlike Dean, had a calm voice as he holds up a finger as if pausing Adam before looking back to Dean.

Dean walks toward the door. "Babysit the kid."

"Where are you going?" Sam asks.

Dean grabs his jacket. "I'm going out." He yells.

Alexis sighs, setting down her cup as Dean slams the door. She grabs her coat.

"Is he always like that?" Adam asks.

"Heh." Sam scoffs. "Welcome to the family."

"Leave him alone." Alexis says before opening the door. "He wouldn't snap like that if you two weren't annoying as hell."

~~~

"This tomb was built in 1926." The old man tells Dean and Alexis after opening the doors to a dark crypt. "Four generations of the Millsap family were interred here."