Chapter 36: We've tried a lot of weird shit

The Monster at the End of This Book 1

Dean holds the door to the comic book shop open for Alexis. She gave him a small smile in thanks as she steps inside.

"Uh, can I help you?" The man behind the counter asks.

"Sure hope so." Dean pulls out his badge. "Agents DeYoung, Shaw, and Lee. Just need to ask a few questions."

"Anything strange in the building the last couple days?" Sam asks.

"Like what?" The man asks.

"Some tenants reported flickering lights?" Alexis suggests.

"Uh, I don't think so. Why?"

"What about noises? Any skittering in the walls, kind of like rats?" Sam adds.

"And the FBI is investigating a rodent problem?"

"What about cold spots? Feel any sudden drops in temperature?"

A smile spreads across the mans face and he points at the hunters. "I knew it. You guys are LARPing, aren't you?"

"Excuse me?" Dean says.

"You're fans."

"Fans of what?" Sam asks.

"What is LARPing?" Dean questions.

"It sounds unpleasant." Alexis comments, leaning toward Dean slightly.

"Like you don't know." The man says. A few seconds of silence pass as the hunters stare at him. "Live Action Role Playing. And pretty hard-core too." he gestures to the outfits the three were wearing.

"That's sounds sexual." Alexis crosses her arms over her chest.

"Sorry, I have no idea what you're talking about." Dean tells him as he nudges Alexis' side. She nudges him back.

"You're asking questions like the buildings haunted. Like those guys from the books. What are they called? Uh, Supernatural." He nods his head. "Two guys and a chick use fake IDs with rock aliases, hunt down ghosts, demons, vampires. What are their names? Steve, Dirk, and Amy? Uh, Sal, Dane, and Amanda?"

After sharing a look with Dean and Alexis, Sam suggested, "Sam, Dean, and Alexis?"

"That's it." He points at Sam.

"You're saying this is a book?" Dean asks.

"And you thought my--her name was Amy?" Alexis scoffs, slightly offended.

"Books. It was a series." He nods. "Didn't sell a lot of copies though. Kind of more of an underground cult following." He stood, moving toward A bin of books. "Lets see. Uh...."

The three hunters share a looking confusion before following.

"Ah. Here." He grabs A book, handing it to Dean. "That's the first one, I think."

"Supernatural, by Carver Edlund." Dean read.

Alexis stared in confusion at the cover, which depicted two halfway clothed men and a woman who was dressed in very skimpy clothing standing in front of an impala at nighttime outside of an old abandoned house.

Dean flips the book around. "'Along a lonely California highway a mysterious woman in white lures men to their deaths.'" He reads.

"Give me that." Sam snatches the book from his hands. "We're gonna need all copies of Supernatural you got."

~~~

Alexis sat beside Dean in bed, books about themselves scattered around the two. Both had one in hand.