XIII

“Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open.”

[Albus Dumbledore.]

☄. *. ⋆

“Potter!” Draco's voice echoed throughout the whole library as he rushed inside the big halls of the place, seeing Harry, Hermione, and Ron seated at their usual spots.

All eyes turned to them as Draco himself approached the golden trio with a hint of determination in his eyes.

Despite the noise, Harry, Hermione, and Ron didn't flinch one bit. They knew Draco all too well, and his attempts at intimidation no longer worked on them. They exchanged a quick glance as Harry looked at Draco in disbelief,

“What do you want this time, Malfoy?” He asked, annoyed by Draco's sudden appearance.

“Why aren't you with your stupid gang? Here to make fun of us again?” Ron butted in, glaring at Draco.

Hermione, her eyes still on the books, also exclaimed, “We're kind of busy here, Malfoy. So if you've got nothing good to say, then leave.”

It's been almost a week since Draco found out about what happened to Y/n, and after spending a lot of time with her. In that small span of time, he realized that she slowly became dear to him and that the little child was really worthy of affection and protection— something his heartless father failed to give him.

He didn't want that child to go through the same pain he's already experiencing; she's too kind and pure to be tainted by this world's unfair treatment.

Ever since that day, he made a promise to himself to always be by her side, no matter what and if he truly wanted to keep that promise, he knew he had to talk to the Golden trio. They had been reprimanding Y/n and Draco for being close to each other, but Draco didn't want to let their disapproval get in the way of his relationship with Y/n.

Everyone knows that Draco can just talk to the girl whenever she wants, so he doesn't even understand why he's doing this, let alone that the Golden three would be upset with him. However for the first time in his life, he wanted to be respectful of the child's feelings because he was aware that Y/n cares for them.

This is madness; this idea is insane, but he couldn't give a damn anymore. He's willing to do it for Y/n, no matter what the cost.

Draco cleared his throat, trying to hide his nervousness. He knew once he did this, there was no turning back; he was going to have to face a big responsibility and be accountable for it no matter what.

“This idea is ridiculous, but I'm still going to do it anyway.” Draco exclaimed, “Allow me to continue to speak with Y/n. I don't mean any harm, I just want to be there to keep her safe and happy too.”

The atmosphere in the library was tense and quiet. Every person present there suddenly stopped in their tracks, taken aback by the unexpected words that came out of Draco's mouth.

“Bloody hell! Did he really just say that, or was I just imagining things? Imagining things?" Ron said this in complete shock.

“What?” Harry was also dumbfounded as he looked at Draco with both of her eyebrows raised in utter surprise.

It was no secret that Draco Lucius Malfoy was a bully and a blood-supremacist boy who had always tormented those he deemed unworthy. So it was definitely a shock to see him swallowing his pride and seeking the Golden trio's permission to talk to a child. The fact that he was doing so in such a public place made it all the more surprising.

As the trio tried to wrap their heads around what was happening, the library's silence was broken by the sound of Draco's voice, saying,

“I said that I would like to continue speaking with Y/n, and I hoped that this time no one would scold her or advise me to avoid her.”

“We're not stupid, we clearly heard what you said.” Hermione scoffed.

“Is that so? Then great. I shall take my leave.” Draco uttered under his breath as he turned to leave,

"Malfoy, what are you up to this time?” Harry inquired, his eyebrows furrowed, looking at Draco, who had just stopped in his tracks.

He immediately turned to them again and answered, “Are you dumb? Y'all heard me, right? I said, I want to stay by Y/n's side.”

"Oh, come on, Malfoy. We're no fools! what's in it this time? Planning to use a little girl to fucking ruin us or something?” Ron exclaimed, and his eyes continued to glare at Draco with rage and annoyance.

However, Draco was quick to shut him down. “Not everything is all about the three of you, Weasley,” He replied.

Draco then tried to explain himself, “Look, I'm just asking the three of you in a polite way because I care about that child. And regardless of what you say, I don't give a single damn because I'm still going to hang out with her anyway.”

The trio and the others was skeptical of Draco's true intentions, but they couldn't help but wonder what made him so interested in Y/n.

Ron was right to be suspicious of Draco's motives. He was initially planning on using Y/n to achieve his own goals. However, after spending time with her, he realized that his plans were foolish and selfish. He grew fond of Y/n and decided not to use her anymore. Instead, he genuinely wanted to be her friend and make sure she was protected and loved.

“Care for her? Did you hit your head or something? We're not falling for your fucking trap, Malfoy!” Ron said, ready to stand up and go for Draco but Harry stopped him.

Draco smirked, “Think whatever you want to think, Weasley, it's not gonna stop me from trying to be close with Y/n.” 

“Why you— Ron, calm down!” Ron was almost ready to attack Draco, but Hermione held him by his robes, pulling him away from Draco, who was standing still in front of them.

“I don't even know why I'm doing this. I don't care if I look foolish right now for trying to clear my intentions towards her,” Draco paused, “This is the first time I've felt like I needed to confess.”

“There's no trap. I may hate the three of you personally, but I have no need for trickery. I'm serious about caring for her.” He added with a hint of indignation and sincerity in his voice.

He stood tall, and looked at the three,

“I care for her. I understand it looks suspicious, but I am being genuine. You don't have to believe me if you don't want to. But I have absolutely no reason to lie. I have a lot of respect for her, and I am not lying when I say that I value her as a person, and I care for her. She is capable as a person, and deserves the respect of everyone around her.” Draco's words contained a hint of frustration, as if he had been trying to convey his feelings for a long time but had been met with suspicion and disbelief.

It was clear that Draco felt deeply for the child, and that his feelings were genuine. His words conveyed a sense of admiration and respect for her, and he seemed to genuinely believe that she deserved to be treated with kindness and consideration.

Despite their initial skepticism, Harry, Ron, and Hermione gradually began to realize that there was more to Draco than met the eye. His words had struck a chord with them, as if Draco was not the same person who used to bully and make fun of them before.

Upon hearing all of that, Hermione inquired, “Why? Why the sudden change of heart?”

“I didn't change my heart, that's a sign of weakness,” Draco replied, “I certainly just enjoy her company a lot, that's all.”

“Why am I explaining anyway? This is nonsense.” Draco said with a hint of annoyance and frustration at his voice as he immediately started walking away from the trio.

“Malfoy!” Harry called out to him,

Draco turned, annoyed, “What?”

“Just be certain you won't hurt her.”