XIV

“I like my chances.”

[Cormac Mclaggen.]

☄. *. ⋆

“Hello there, Devorah.” The little girl was just sitting under the oak tree, reading her favorite book with Capella, when both of their attentions were stolen when they heard a voice.

The two first years looked up, seeing none other than Cormac McLaggen and his friends.

Capella's eyes widened as she pulled Y/n closer to her, suddenly feeling protective and anxious the moment she saw them.

Cormac McLaggen was a wizard and member of the McLaggen family, a family known for being 'big in the Ministry.' He was sorted into Gryffindor house and was one year above the Golden Trio, making him the same year level as Cedric.

He was a bit of an idiot, rude and a bully, to put it short, he's one of those boorish, brainless fools who's in the group of self-proclaimed cool kids just because of his family name. Of course, Capella knew all of that, that's why all of a sudden she became more alert. She had heard stories about McLaggen and his family from her parents, who had worked at the Ministry. She knew that McLaggen's family was powerful and influential, but that did not give him the right to behave the way he did.

“Hello!” With an innocent smile on her face, Y/n greeted her back.

“What do you want, McLaggen?” Capella immediately asked, not wanting to waste a single minute on them.

“Very feisty, eh, Diggory?” Cormac smirked and said, “Sadly, we're not interested in you. I'm actually here to meet this charming friend of yours.”

Hearing that from Cormac makes Capella's skin crawl in disgust. He may be a Gryffindor too, but Capella feels like she can't trust him, and she doesn't want him anywhere near her friend. She thought about how she could protect Y/n from people like him.

“Fuck off, McLaggen! We're not interested, leave Y/n alone.” Capella scoffed.

“Not a very nice approach, Diggory.” Cormac spoke in a mocking tone as his friends started laughing.

Upon watching the scene, Y/n blinked innocently and asked, “Capella, what's going on?” Clearly, she was clueless.

“Nothing's wrong, Y/n,” Capella said, trying to remain calm. “Let's just go.” She stood up as she pulled her friend away from them, but she halted in her tracks when Cormac's friends got in the way, cornering the two of them.

Capella started feeling uneasy. Couldn't this day get any worse than it already is?

“Shit!” She murmured under her breath.

“Don't be rude, we weren't done talking to your friend.” Cormac said as he looked at the two young ladies with a hint of mockery and thrilled written on his face.

Cormac's words cut through the air like a knife, leaving a tense silence in their wake. Capella, feeling protective of her friend, quickly stepped forward and raised her wand in a defensive stance. Y/n cowered behind her, clueless of what was going on. Cormac, sensing the tension, smirked and taunted them, relishing in his power over them.

Capella was not one to back down. She stood her ground, her wand hand steady as she faced off against Cormac and his friends.

“It's not very polite to play with wands, Diggory,” Cormac retorted, his tone laced with playfulness. “Perhaps you should follow the example of your cousin and learn some manners.”

Cormac's grin widened, his eyes glinting with malice. He motioned to his friends, who quickly moved to restrain Capella by holding onto her arms. Y/n, seeing her friend in trouble, tried to intervene but was quickly pushed back at the oak tree, hitting her head a little bit hard. The two girls were now cornered, surrounded by Cormac and his cronies.