Chapter Five

Asgard

McKenna frowned at her reflection in the mirror. "I look tired."

"So go to sleep." Loki's hands came down onto her shoulders. "It's been a long day all around."

She signed, turning on her vanity bench. "I'm worried about Selig, Loki."

"McKenna, I'm tired of it. He needs to grow up and this is the only way he's going to do that."

Her stomach tightened as he pulled his hands away and he stalked out of her dressing room. "Loki, wait..." She rose and hurried after him, catching him by the wrist as he made to step out onto the terrace just off their room. "What was he doing that was so awful and why won't you tell me?"

"I did tell you."

"The girls. That's what has you so upset? He's a young man, Loki. Isn't that what you were doing at twenty-five?"

"McKenna, he is going to be the next ruler of Asgard, and he's developing a reputation as a whoremonger, for lack of a better phrase."

Her cheeks grew warm and a decidedly sick feeling rose in her belly. It was one thing to think about her baby boy fooling around with one or two Asgardian women, but this... this was entirely different. "What?"

Loki nodded. "Oh, yes. He's doing his best to sleep his way through servants, barmaids, pretty much anything in a dress, as you would say."

"Oh... oh, my..."

"Exactly. I'd rather he not be known as Selig the Horny, if it's all the same to you."

"Oh, God..." She swallowed hard. "Selig?"

"Selig."

"Well, still... to banish him with nothing..."

"He has to grow up, love. This is the only way he's going to, because he'll be forced to. Just like Thor."

"Yeah, but Thor was lucky. He got run over by Jane. I mean, that part wasn't so lucky, but... well, you know what I mean."

Loki chuckled. "Yes, love. I've become quite adept at speaking McKenna over the years. And you needn't worry. He has his Jane."

"What?"

"I sent him to New Jersey. Home. Where Celia is."

"Celia Baker?" McKenna shook her head. "But he hasn't seen her in years, Loki."

"I know, but she was his best friend on Midgard. She'll keep an eye on him and who knows? Perhaps you will have her as a daughter-in-law after all."

"Oh, I don't know, Loki. Something happened between them. And whatever it was, it wasn't good. Remember, he just showed up here before Prom Weekend was over and he wouldn't say why?"

"They could have simply had an argument. It happens."

"But they haven't spoken to each other in what? Eight years?"

"Selig's been busy and I'll wager Celia probably has been as well." Loki sighed softly. "Come. Get dressed and we'll pay Heimdall a visit. Perhaps he might put your mind at ease."

She didn't know how much that would help, as she always wondered exactly what happened between Selig and Celia that weekend. Ever since they were children, they were inseparable and McKenna had to admit, she harbored hopes of Celia being the one Selig chose to spend his life with, as she was perfectly suited for him. She knew him, understood him, in ways McKenna and Loki never would, and that was fine. Celia accepted Selig for who he was, for his faults as well as his strengths. And McKenna had seen the way Celia looked at her son when she thought no one else was looking at her. She was the only girl McKenna thought good enough for their son.